Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

MAPIX performance

MAPIX. M* puts it in the 87th percentile going back 1 year. Yet it looks stellar, more recently. What gives, I wonder?

Comments

• The WSJ Fund Snapshot seems to be more favorable to MAPIX. I've gotten to where I don't use M* for researching funds anymore.
  • OK. That's good to know. I know how to find the WSJ thing. Appreciate it.
  • Funny, I had planned to put a link in my comment but forgot. MAPIX has been very good as of late. It is my main Asia fund.
  • MAPIX is one of 3 Asia funds I have owned for years. The other two are MAPTX and MSMLX. All 3 have performed well, especially lately.
  • edited June 2014
    Our rankings have it pretty low as well the past year.

But longer term, eye-watering and Matthews is a good shop.

This past quarter though, MAPIX is on a tear. Here's M* plot:

Believe M* was concerned about departure of co-manager, but the fund still rates a silver and positive marks for all five pillars.

Hard to find any fault with MAPIX, which I believe is closed.

Congrats on this holding Crash!
  • Thank you for stopping to give that input. MAPIX is the biggest holding I've got. It makes me very happy/uncomfortable. ;)
  • TedTed
    edited June 2014
    @JohnChium: FYI there is no such thing as WSJ Fund Snapshot, you must mean Lipper.
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/fund/MAPIX
  • @Ted,

Yes there is a WSJ fund snapshot. It does use Lipper data. MW is part of the same family. Bing is your new friend.

http://online.wsj.com/public/quotes/fund_snapshot.html?symbol=Asiox&type=usstock+usfund&lateralbox.x=-961&lateralbox.y=-289

• The WSJ fund pages use the same data layout as the now-defunct Smartmoney did; that's the only place I've found that uses the old SM structure. (May be others, but I'm not aware of any.) Marketwatch uses Lipper data, but it's still structured like they've done for many years.
  • I have WSJ fund ratings bookmarked. They use their own label. Are they appropriating someone else's info? I dunno.
    http://online.wsj.com/public/quotes/fund_snapshot.html?symbol=MAPIX
  • @Crash,
    They are using Lipper's stats.

I think MAPIX is a good fund to hold onto for the long run. You mentioned it is your largest holding. If that is making you uncomfortable at times perhaps some diversifying is in order?
  • @John Chisum & Crash: You both need to go to the blackboard and write one thousands time, The Wall Street Journal Does Not Have A Fund Snapshot, They Use Lipper Fund Snapshots + you both need to go to the wood shed.
    Regards,
    Ted
    Wood Shed:
  • Does it really matter Ted?
    Back to your linking.
  • My intention is not to hijack this thread, but I've run through these thought processes with my equity fund holdings. In most cases, I've resolved similar questions by replacing equity fund holdings with similar index funds. I may not "hit a home run", but I'll sleep better, have more time for the activities I enjoy and hopefully do well with my index holdings.

How will my equity index holdings perform against actively managed funds when the big correction comes? Who knows, but it's going to be interesting to watch.
  • It's OK, Ted, really. Lipper won't let me in, anyway. I guess you gotta pay 'em. So I use the WSJ version of Lipper.