Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

NAESX

NAESX Vang. sm-cap index.
AUM = $46.7 BILLION. Stocks held = 1,451. "Other" holdings = 14. Just 1.37% of the money is held in its top 5 positions. Talk about spread-out! But with $46.7B, I suppose it would be like steering an aircraft carrier with a rudder meant for a 2-stroke diesel fishing scow.

Comments

• Using the WSJ snapshot, it seems this fund is lagging although it has favorable ratings. It is really big for a small cap fund. Personally I would want a fund that is more nimble. This one is more of a set it and forget it type of fund for 401k's.
  • Yes, it's in wifey's 403b. The other options were equally non-compelling. The default--- unless you actually make a choice, like we did--- is a MM fund that pays zilch.
  • Fund Is Ranked # 17 In The (SCB) Category By U.S. News & World Report.
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://money.usnews.com/funds/mutual-funds/small-blend/vanguard-small-cap-index-fund/naesx
  • It is an index fund so being nimble is not as important as it would be with active management.
  • That's true. Thanks SpringMan. And Ted. #17? Not bad, esp. for an INDEX fund, eh? Number seventeen out of how MANY, though? I'm going to go look at that link you provided.
  • ...I have my answer already: NAESX is ranked #17 out of 228. "I'll take it!" Said the beautiful man with the formerly Jamaican Red Stripe Beer in his hand--- now brewed in Latrobe.

• She gets a contribution from the employer. They take previous year's earnings and throw in 3% of that figure. It's not a match. It's a flat 3%, dumped into your selected 403b fund in the Spring of the year following. So she suddenly owned shares just AFTER a dividend was paid, toward the end of March. It's now showing her a tiny profit, thanks to the very recent run-up over the last few days.