Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

My Chrysler/Fiat/Volkwagen/Canadian/ ? / vehicle

edited July 2014 in Off-Topic
As a young, punk kid; I worked in the auto industry in Michigan for about 18 months.
With the auto industry being what it was in Michigan; and the role it still plays today, I still watch this business sector to guage other things related to investing overall.
There has been for many years, a given amount of content overlap among the big 3 auto companies from years past; with some vendor parts being shared. Today? Well, we know this mix is now endless as to content and where a part may actually have been given birth. I purchased an AC/Delco repair part a few years ago, that had previously been made at a hugh Michigan facility (since leveled to the ground several years ago) and the country of origin was Slovenia.

By choice of vehicle type for our house, several of our vehicles over the years have been built in Canada; about 1 hour drive away.
We would joke that our car or van was indeed foreign built, by the fine workers of Canada.

One current vehicle, a Chrysler 300, is assembled in Canada; with parts from many places, including a much refined V-6 motor from Michigan and an amazing 9 speed transmission, that at the time (2012) was provided by Audi, of Germany. The transmissions, if I recall properly, are now being built in Michigan. A side note: this car, at 60 mph, flat expressway and little headwind obtains 38 mpg.

Anyway, another potential mix of product in the below link.

My Chrysler/Fiat/Volkwagen/Canadian/ ? / vehicle

Regards,
Catch

Comments

• I had a 1985 Ford Ranger that had a Yamaha transmission. I didn't know Yamaha made stuff like that.

Johnson Controls, Borg Warner, etc make all these car parts. It's amazing where they are all made. I had a Mitsubishi with a battery made in Guam of all places.

No wonder cars all look the same anymore.
  • edited July 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Jeep just brought back "Cherokee." Of all the things one would never think to ask about is the spare tire. Since its location/hiding place was not obvious, I called the dealer after purchase to ask where it was. Where does the spare sit? ...Oh, lift up the floor of the back cargo space. It's under there......

Sales people will tell you ANYTHING. Guess what? There IS no spare. There is a gizmo that looks like it attaches to your flat tire to give it air enough to get somewhere for help. The automakers are cutting all sorts of corners. And it's TOO fancy in all the wrong ways----- according to this old Luddite.
  • edited July 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ya, man!
  • @Maurice

The Ford "Jag"......was a "duh"???

That overpriced auto looked more like a Ford Taurus in the end.

A side note to another thought that popped into my head is the VW, Routan, mini-van.
    This van was built by Chrysler for VW with a few changes to trim, healdlights, etc.
    The van was produced from 2008-2013. I see them periodically on the roads in Michigan. But, it idefinitely is not a German built, VW product.

Take care,
    Catch

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My understanding is that you can tell where a vehicle was assembled by the vehicle ID number, for example starting with 1 being USA, 2 being Canada, 3 being Mexico. My 09 Chevy Silverado was assembled in Mexico. So much for the hot dogs, apple pie, and Chevrolet slogan.
  • $2,000/month LEASE on Bentley, I see in the paper. Some people have way too much money for their own good.
  • I would guess that insurance and maintenance added to that number makes the point even more so.
  • edited July 2014
    What gets me ... Try renting a car from Hertz or Budget, etc. You'll find that they now consider "full sized" cars to be Malibus and Fusions. What? And they charge a pretty piece if you want to bump-up three or four steps to rent one of these little things. #*!!*##

BTW Catch, Saw a beautiful '68 Plymouth Roadrunner (dark green) at a auto show recently. Does that bring back some memories! Nice wheels for cruising Woodward back in the go-go years. Right?
  • edited July 2014
    A Roadrunner, those were the years. Cars were something back then.

Not only does Hertz and the rest charge high rates for so called full sized cars, they put a hold on your credit card. The amount varies but $200-300 is common. Now multiply that by the number if rentals they do that day worldwide and that amounts to a healthy sum. It's free money for them as they use it as a float. Same thing applies if you apply for a refund. It might take a couple of weeks or so before the money shows up in your account.

A lot of companies do this so I'm not singling out car rental companies.

Remember when chrome was a process and not a paint coating on plastic?

Edit PS: I read that James Garner passed away. He drove a Pontiac Firebird on the Rockford Files.
  • FIATY mentioned in one of Scott's threads has had a nice recent chart:

-Up 34% for 1 yr
  • hank said:

What gets me ... Try renting a car from Hertz or Budget, etc. You'll find that they now consider "full sized" cars to be Malibus and Fusions. What? And they charge a pretty piece if you want to bump-up three or four steps to rent one of these little things. #*!!*##

BTW Catch, Saw a beautiful '68 Plymouth Roadrunner (dark green) at a auto show recently. Does that bring back some memories! Nice wheels for cruising Woodward back in the go-go years. Right?

Dark Green. The perfect touch, eh? :)

• A Roadrunner, those were the years. Cars were something back then.

Not only does Hertz and the rest charge high rates for so called full sized cars, they put a hold on your credit card. The amount varies but $200-300 is common. Now multiply that by the number if rentals they do that day worldwide and that amounts to a healthy sum. It's free money for them as they use it as a float. Same thing applies if you apply for a refund. It might take a couple of weeks or so before the money shows up in your account.

A lot of companies do this so I'm not singling out car rental companies.

Remember when chrome was a process and not a paint coating on plastic?

Edit PS: I read that James Garner passed away. He drove a Pontiac Firebird on the Rockford Files.

:( Yes, I heard. The answering machine starters every week were so funny!