Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

FPACX-Big change to portfolio

edited July 2014 in Fund Discussions
Big change to their portfolio- they now show 32.5% in U.S. Treasuries and are down to 12.5 cash-

FPACX

Comments

• thanks for posting. What a surprise.....unexpected
  • @aikiron: Still way to much $$$$$$$$ $$$$ for me !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Ted said:

@aikiron: Still way to much $$$$$$$$ $$$$ for me !
    Regards,
    Ted

Yeah, I'm a big fan, but 18.6 billion in assets and counting.......
  • Not seeing the problem. I one fund say I put 10K and put 5K in the bank. Or I put 15K in FPACX. What's the difference?

I own ARIVX too and I have absolutely no problem with their cash position. When I buy these funds I buy knowing what I'm buying. You can't buy such funds and then question why manager is holding so much cash. Makes no sense to do that IMHO.
  • Well, you have to understand that Ted is one for the pedal to the metal, as they say. Fearless. Hey, that's his style: if it works for him (and evidently it has), great!
  • This is not about Ted. Buying actively managed fund and questioning cash position makes no sense. Especially when manager is actually yelling from rooftops that's exactly what he might do from time to time. There are always index funds. Buy them.
  • I believe that Ted's point is that he would NOT be interested in FPACX, because of their cash position. Pretty straightforward, it seems to me.
  • Looking at the funds investment strategy and objectives, it seems the manager is doing exactly what it says. The five year chart shows a pretty good return too.
  • As a tactical play, they must believe that the Treasury position will have more value than the option the cash provides. If the economy decelerates, this will be true as a short term matter.
  • I agree with you Mark. Additionally, I would think they must think rates are not going to rise while they hold these notes. I wish they had realized this, what 5 yrs ago? Interesting that M* and the like don't have any details, like maturity date, just 0.325*$18billion in 1.25% notes.

Evidently auction results are public (but not the buyers name): https://www.treasurydirect.gov/instit/annceresult/press/press.htm
  • Well, the "value"would be around the 10 year part of the curve. The spread there looks okay I suppose compared to what the economy appears to be doing.