Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

This Stock Bubble Is 'Beyond 1929 And 2007', Says John Hussman

FYI Hussman’s funds have missed out on much of the strong equity gains in recent years, prompting some criticism of his investing style. The Hussman Strategic Growth Fund HSGFX is down 1.5% this year, compared to 7.2% gains on the S&P 500 index SPX , according to Morningstar. The other funds have fared a bit better: The Hussman Strategic Total Return Fund HSTRX is up 6.8%. The Hussman Strategic Growth Fund HSIEX is up 1.9%, while the Hussman Strategic Dividend Value HSDVX is up 0.2%.
Regards,
Ted
http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/2014/07/27/this-stock-bubble-is-beyond-1929-and-2007-says-john-hussman/tab/print/

Comments

• If this is a bubble (and not saying it is), it's the ultimate bubble, because what is left if it breaks - more QE? Lower interest rates?
  • @scott: Please, John Hussman has every right to be wrong again !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while. So will Hussman be 'proved right' at some point. In the meantime, his disastrous management has cost shareholders dearly. It is amazing his Strategic Growth fund has any assets at all, let alone more than $1 billion (but down from $6 billion in 2010). His claim to fame was performance in the 2007-08 bear market. Perhaps he will do well in the next bear market, but there are other low-risk options for investors that have at least had a positive return the last 10 years.
  • I just had a fresh look at Hussman's record with what seems to be his most important fund, HSGFX

Actually, he did amazingly well from inception on 7/24/2000 thru the end of 2008.

His 2001 and 2002 performances were exceptional. Most funds were taken to the cleaners in 2002. The Vanguard S&P 500 index fund lost 22% in 2002, and lost 12% in 2001. For Hussman to have been up more than 14% in each of those years is really something.

From inception thru the end of 2002, unbelievable performance.
    2003-2007, lukewarm.
    2008: Exceptional, considering the S&P 500 went down 37%

From 2009 till the present: unbelievably bad performance.

What's so unique about Hussman is his academic credentials. It's one thing to hear a charlatan say the Dow is going to 6,000 and the sky is falling. It's a bit different when someone with a PhD in economics from Stanford, who had an exemplary mutual fund record for almost 9 years, writes the kind of stuff Hussman writes.
  • edited July 2014
    I agree with both Ted and scott.
    But I hate to think of what scott mentioned.
    I mean really, what ammunition does the Fed have left? They already have 4 billion dollars on the balance sheet, and Greenspan just said it will be one of the major problems addressing how to wind that down.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/greenspan-worries-about-false-dawns-fed-exit-2014-07-24

If the economic recovery fails (or a "bubble" bursts), would they do, add another 4 billion to the balance sheet thru more massive QE?

The Federal Funds rate is zero to 0.25%
    What do they have left in their bag of tricks, a negative Federal Funds rate?
    I think somewhere in Europe already has that now.
  • edited July 2014
    Please read lets start a lemonae stand on hussman website. There is a difference between being wrong and losing money. Yes he has lost money, but i dont think he is wrong. Or maybe two thirds of what he earns going to charity has something to do with it.

The only ding is how he lost 12 percent in 2012. Thats a head scratcher. He is a hedger not a shorter. M* can go **** itself. However, he did screw up there. Also calling him a perma bear is also wrong. But hey, what do i know. As long as he is not madoff, i am fine holding his funds. I am equally invested from cost basis standpoint in hsgfx and hstrx, and i sleep just fine.
  • edited July 2014

Also calling him a perma bear is also wrong.

I'd say that's accurate when you look at Hussman as a whole. The media has taken to making villains out of/shouting down anyone who has tried to bring a little reality into the discussion. They did in 2007/2008, too, to anyone who questioned the sustainability of the situation ("Housing might crash? How dare you say such a thing!")

I really dislike Hussman's positioning (this whole overly complex and unnecessary completely hedged long portfolio.) If he feels the way he does, go heavily to cash and staples, with some light hedging if need be. Simpler strategy (given his views) and would have likely done better. I think there is a stubbornness in keeping with the portfolio positioning.

Additionally, calling the stock market a bubble and being long thing like Panera, Starbucks and Viacom? Meh.

"He is a hedger not a shorter"

The portfolio - last I looked - remains fully hedged. So, either his hedging strategy is not working or his long portfolio is underperforming or some combination of both, although I'm thinking it's the former more than the latter. I think we've gone over this before and I forget what the result was, but I'd be curious what Hussman's unhedged performance would have looked like over the last 2-3 years.
  • edited July 2014
    What stands out to me is he is negative over the past 1, 3, 5, and 10 years (HSGFX) Not exactly my idea of building wealth.
  • What Junkster said. Hussman is clearly smart and hardworking and cares about his shareholders, he's just not making them any money. 10 years is a full market cycle. He's been tested.

If you think the market is overvalued, hold cash and high quality short term corporates, maybe through an etf like VCSH. No need to get fancy.
  • edited July 2014
    expatsp said:

If you think the market is overvalued, hold cash and high quality short term corporates, maybe through an etf like VCSH. No need to get fancy.

My suggestion was a bit of staples, healthcare and the like (effectively kind of do what Forrester Value did in 2008), as well as cash and some light hedging, but your last sentence sums up Hussman's problem well and I completely agree: if he has the opinions he does, there's really no need to get fancy.

" Hussman is clearly smart and hardworking and cares about his shareholders."

I think he's intelligent and certainly provides a lot of research behind his opinions (and yes, his theories vs reality haven't exactly worked out), but I think in terms of managing money, if a year goes by and your views are not playing out, you figure out a way to adjust somehow. There is a point where, as a money manager, you have to adapt. That's not to say that Hussman should have turned around and gone 2x long - it's just even asking, "Is there a way I can express these views in my investment approach differently that could be more effective? Is the options strategy working?"

If a manager can't appear to question his approach and seek ways to possibly improve it, then...I don't have use for the fund, really.
  • rjb112-

You have this right. I would refine your opinion by saying its his performance from 2010 on that was bad. Given his approach, it was his execution of the hedging, not the timing of it, that led to his unacceptable negative returns.
  • MarkM said:

rjb112-

You have this right. I would refine your opinion by saying its his performance from 2010 on that was bad. Given his approach, it was his execution of the hedging, not the timing of it, that led to his unacceptable negative returns.

Execution of the hedging. Copy that. Negative 12% means he screwed up. Didn't stagger his puts properly or something. Or got carried away.