Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

fund companies bleeding assets

PIMCO's asset losses (and Mr. Gross's tantrums) have been much in the news, but Morningstar's recent fund flows report shows a fascinating collection of firms whose investors have been hitting the exits over the past twelve months:

• PIMCO, down $79 billion to $506 billion (owie)
  • Columbia, down $11B to $167B
  • Janus, down $11B to $102B
  • American Funds, down $10B to $1.1 trillion
  • Fidelity, down $6B to $1.2 trillion (which does look a lot like a rounding error)
  • Hartford, down $6B to $97B
  • Voya (nee ING), down $6B to $94B
  • Thornburg, down $4B to $61B
  • DWS, down $3B to $49B
The big gainers: Vanguard, DFA, JPMorgan, and Goldman Sachs are all up by more than $20 billion.

David

Comments

• Sorry, this is a little of topic:

Sometimes I speed up selling a fund that is on my "sell list" when I see excessive outflows, just to avoid the negative effects of the fund being forced to sell (usually in a down market). My question is: Where in Morningstar or other convenient sources can one easily find an AUM statistic for an individual fund? I can't find this in Morningstar, but maybe I don't know where to look for it. (The only way I usually got information is when I can compare with old notes that I happen to have about the fund and usually I only make myself such notes when the market situation turns precarious.
  • Under the heading: "What we like about PREMX."
    "Asset base in T. Rowe Price Emerging Markets Bond Fund (PREMX) has been consistently increasing at a reasonable pace in the last 2 months. It shows investor confidence and market support."

This is from Fund Mojo. It does not give a hard number re: shares bought or sold, sorry. But maybe the link will be generally helpful to you? Of course, you can fill-in whatever fund you're researching.
    http://www.fundmojo.com/mutualfund/fund_report/mutualfund/PREMX
  • Thanks,
    (I also apologize that I didn't see that there was an entire recent thread on this topic, I usually go trough the posts starting at the top!)
  • I can understand investors flocking to vanguard. Indexing , low expenses, etc. it is very distressing to see JPM and GS gaining assets.
  • Yuh -- apparently the power of a dedicated sales force at work.
  • Morgan Stanley and GS willl apparently be offering Dark pool service to the deep water clients:
    morgan-stanley-goldman-darkpools
  • Pete64 said:

Sorry, this is a little of topic:

Sometimes I speed up selling a fund that is on my "sell list" when I see excessive outflows, just to avoid the negative effects of the fund being forced to sell (usually in a down market). My question is: Where in Morningstar or other convenient sources can one easily find an AUM statistic for an individual fund? I can't find this in Morningstar, but maybe I don't know where to look for it.

Pete64, you can find the AUM in Morningstar on the Quote tab, which is to the far left, and usually the one that opens by default. I'll point it out with an arrow

• Suspect that the only places one can get history of AUM is paying for a database, like Center for Securities Research (CRSP) Survivor-Bias-Free US Mutual Fund Database, contacting fund house directly, or crawling through SEC's EDGAR mutual fund, like here for Dodge & Cox.