Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

A 60% correction ahead?

Wait a second! I said it first.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/scary-correction-coming-analyst-123432322.html

People at CNBC are so shameless. This is so shameful. I mean shameless. I mean...never mind.

Comments

• "A jolt to international confidence in central banks will lead to a 30 to 60 percent market decline, said David Tice, president of Tice Capital and founder of the Prudent Bear Fund."

"This crash will be precipitated, he said, by a disillusionment with the Federal Reserve's "confidence game," which will then see inflation rise, and the Fed scramble to raise rates. At that point, Tice added, "the Fed starts to lose control.""

"Another market watcher also called for an impending fall.

The Fed's low interest rates could bring a "scary" 50-60 percent market correction, said technical analyst Abigail Doolittle."

"Unfortunately, I think it could come on a crash similar to what happened in 2007," Doolittle.... said on " Squawk Box " .......... "It's tough to know what the exact catalyst will be. But that's the very nature of that kind of selloff. They start slowly and then happen very suddenly."

Also on CNBC in the past few months has been Harry Dent, who says the Dow will fall to 6,000 by the end of 2015.

• Sort of instructive to look at her life and accomplishments, as documented on her LinkedIn page.

B.A. in Philosophy, some work in financial planning and a lot more in getting attention and raising money.

(sigh)

David
  • I forget... old age is great... what does "B A" stand for again? I seem to recall something about cows and art, but can't quite make a connection there...
  • My B A degree is in economics. Not sure what that has to do with cows & art.

Old_Skeet
  • Hold on... it's coming to me... bulls, not cows. And maybe artist, not art?
  • Please go away.
  • LOL ... David Tice runs Prudent Bear. What would you expect him to say?

I think this illustrates how all of us tend to create our own reality. So, I'd guess Tice really believes this. :)

• Hey wait a second. The only thing important right now is IF market drops 60%, then everyone needs to pay homage to me. You guys are making all the wrong points even though they are the right points.

Let's all focus please.
  • Gah, I hope he really believes it. 60%, bwahahaha. Just imagine the value ratios then. I would draw amap on my home equity line and margin my poor Fido and ML accounts amap to buy. This is comical, but would be totes awesome.
  • @MFO Member: Regarding David Tice, a picture is worth a thousands words.
    BEARX Performance:
    http://performance.morningstar.com/fund/performance-return.action?t=BEARX&region=usa&culture=en-US
    Regarding Abigail Doolittle (Chartist): Every ship at the bottom of the ocean has a chart room.
    Regards,
    Tee
  • edited August 2014
    Won't happen. Grandma Yellen will fire up QE again long before that kind of decline. If the Fed loses control that's a whole other story.

Interesting tidbit: interest rate in Weimar Germany in 1914-21: 5%. In 1922, it goes from 5% to 12%. By the Fall of 1923, its 90%. By the end of 1923, 900%.

German stock market at 97 in January 1919. German stock market at 26,890,000 at the peak in 1923.

• scott said:

Interesting tidbit: interest rate in Weimar Germany in 1914-21: 5%. In 1922, it goes from 5% to 12%. By the Fall of 1923, its 90%. By the end of 1923, 900%.

German stock market at 97 in January 1919. German stock market at 26,890,000 at the peak in 1923.

@scott: do you have a reference you can share with those figures about the German stock market, German interest rates?

thanks
  • edited August 2014
    rjb112 said:

scott said:

@scott: do you have a reference you can share with those figures about the German stock market, German interest rates?

thanks
    Should have done that but forgot (early, I guess.)

http://www.nowandfutures.com/us_weimar.html

As for the above link, I'd ignore the attempts at comparison but instead focus on the timeline that shows how quickly the situation escalated.
  • I could predict that the Buffalo Bills will win the 2015 Super Bowl. If I'm correct, I can remind everyone. If I'm incorrect, nobody will remember.
  • Bitzer said:

I could predict that the Buffalo Bills will win the 2015 Super Bowl. If I'm correct, I can remind everyone. If I'm incorrect, nobody will remember.

That's the irony of it. Get in the press by saying something. If it turns out bad, WE let them get away with it. We should not. If it turns out good, then one gets MORE press. Its a win win for them, but we should make it a lose lose for them.

Someone suggested if there was a way on MFO to track all the BAs, it will be good. I second that. Bailey to Grantham to Tice - no discrimination.

• Considering the source and the enabler, what me worry?
  • @VintageFreak I've made similar comments about other prognosticators who have been introduced to this board, such as Sam and Art.
  • It goes both ways.
    In the spring of 1999, I was posting – on the Silicon Investor board - that I was prepared for a market crash.
    I was verbally trashed as a crank and doomsayer.

I estimated, but did not predict, that it would happen in the fall of that year.
    I was wrong.
    When the market started its downturn in 2000, people
    were screaming that this was a fantastic buying opportunity.
    The sad part of this - they were buying the tech stocks that had lead the market to its 1999 highs.
    Meanwhile, I had sold them my tech stocks and was net short.

And it repeated in November 2007 when I told a conference of
    200+ investors that the market was nearing a critical point and showed them the exit signals to watch.

Don’t misunderstand – I did not predict these crashes.
    But crashes, like heart attacks, have warning signs.

Happy investing.
  • beebee
    edited August 2014
    AKAFlack said:

Don’t misunderstand – I did not predict these crashes.
    But crashes, like heart attacks, have warning signs.

Can you share some present day warning signs?

• bee,
    Presently I'm not anticipating a large downturn.
    But here's my concern about posting this sort of information - a good number
    of the traditional conservative, diversified, long-tern investors here
    have gotten their panties in a bunch when I've discussed this in the past.
    I hear, "Every ship at the bottom of the ocean has a chart room" and
    "But you not only have to decide when to get out, you also have to know when to get back in - that means you have to make TWO correct decisions."

If you can tell me how to send you a Private Message, I'll gladly
    discuss this with you.

• @AKAFlack: "f you can tell me how to send you a Private Message, I'll gladly
    discuss this with you." Would you be so kind as to discuss it with the entire MFO Board. How much of a downturn do you anticipate, 5%, 10%, 20%. ?
    Regards,
    Ted
    Regards,
    Ted
  • But I'm guessing there are more ships above water that also have a chart room. Maybe how one reads the charts has something to do with the ship staying above/below water.
  • +1 Ted
  • Bitzer said:

@VintageFreak I've made similar comments about other prognosticators who have been introduced to this board, such as Sam and Art.

Sorry not sure if Sam / Art are MFO patrons. However, yes, let's track our own predictions against the "Egg spurts" on MFO if possible.
  • As I recall it's not the eggs that do the spurting...
  • Old_Joe said:

As I recall it's not the eggs that do the spurting...

I was hoping someone with the right "eggs" would catch on. Thanks for not disappointing:D
  • It is amazing that BEARX still has $450 million in assets. Of course, given its performance that will steadily shrink over time even if there are no outflows.
    Ted said:

@MFO Member: Regarding David Tice, a picture is worth a thousands words.
    BEARX Performance:
    http://performance.morningstar.com/fund/performance-return.action?t=BEARX&region=usa&culture=en-US
    Regarding Abigail Doolittle (Chartist): Every ship at the bottom of the ocean has a chart room.
    Regards,
    Tee

• MOZART325 said:

It is amazing that BEARX still has $450 million in assets. Of course, given its performance that will steadily shrink over time even if there are no outflows.

Sorry but I do not understandn what. we find surprising about this. People make calls. Some bullish, Some bearish. Then they invest accordingly.

This is the same argument on whether one should invest in VFINX or LMVTX. Should one invest in BEARX or BRPIX. Some chose VFINX and USPIX. Others chose LMVTX and BEARX. Sometimes they win and people praise them. Then they stink up the place and people pan them. We never say VFINX and BRPIX suck because they are the "benchmarks".

We are not most people. Check!
  • AKAFlack said:

bee,

If you can tell me how to send you a Private Message, I'll gladly
    discuss this with you.

@AKAFlack : just click on my 'name', rjb112. I believe that should take you to a 'rectangle' to send me a PM.

I'd like to hear all about it.

"In the spring of 1999, I was posting – on the Silicon Investor board - that I was prepared for a market crash.
    I was verbally trashed as a crank and doomsayer."

IMHO, it's totally inappropriate to be verbally trashed. IMHO, we don't want an MFO that only has bullish viewpoints and doesn't accept bearish viewpoints. Remember, all the bearish viewpoints were correct prior to all the bear markets and downturns.

"When the market started its downturn in 2000....."Meanwhile, I had sold them my tech stocks and was net short".

Good move, congrats.

"And it repeated in November 2007 when I told a conference of
    200+ investors that the market was nearing a critical point and showed them the exit signals to watch.

Don’t misunderstand – I did not predict these crashes."

Did you exit the market at that time, and sidestep the -55% total return maximum drawdown?

If so, congrats again.

Send me a PM.....