Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Veterans Day 11/11/14

TedTed
edited November 2014 in Fund Discussions
Least we never forget the men and women who served their country, especially those who sacrificed their
lives.
Ted
USMC

American Anthem: Nora Jones:

Comments

• Semper Fi,

Sgt. O.
  • edited November 2014
    @Ted and @rono , et al veterans

First, thank you.

An added note. I recall my first 3 months of pay. $90 gross/month (perhaps that was net). I believe this moved to $102.50/month with the first rank promotion. 'Course, the food was free, housing was free, transportation was free, clothing was free and free medical/dental; including all 36 immunizations (I still have the record book for these) I received during my service time.:)

Best Regards,
    Catch
  • @catch22 and @rono,

Thank you both for your service. I thanked Ted on the other thread.

I cannot remember what my pay was in 1976 but it wasn't much. I also remember those shots too. It was called the firing line in Coast Guard boot camp. Not fun getting injected in both arms.

• Never mind the arms. When I was getting set up for duty @ 9.04562 / 117.634 it was not only the arms but my butt also. That was in 1957. Semper per DingDing!
  • Thanks, all.
    And remembering those who gave everything they had, and their loved ones: "I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the alter of freedom." -Abraham Lincoln.
  • There's a quotation for the ages. Lincoln, with few others, truly commanded the English language.
  • Ouch! @Old_Joe. Back then there was no such thing as disposable needles and syringes. Both were cleaned and sterilized for reuse and the needles occasionally had to be sharpened. Knowing the military they used those needles until they bounced off the skin before sharpening.