Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Sold MAPIX.

After the Q4 distribution fiasco, I gave some time to think this one over. The fund has done well in the past and the recent rough patch has affected other funds in that sector as well. The two manager losses may have been more than the company could handle. So I sold my shares at today's market close. The funds will be consolidated into other funds I own.

I still own MAINX. Teresa Kong has proved to be not only a top fund manager in a difficult area, but she communicates with her shareholders. In fact I had received a email regarding a question on MAINX last year and the response was very good.

A difficult decision but it appears that MAPIX may be changing into something I didn't invest in for in the first place. If one doesn't have confidence in the management of the fund, then what else is there?

Comments

• Here are the numbers through November...December should be up shortly:

And, 3 alarm metrics...none so far...

• edited January 2015
    I continue to like RIMIX, a fund no one's ever heard of. Yes, ER is a little high and not income oriented, but not a bad track record. Still own MSMLX and MACSX.
  • Charles, thank you for your sacrifice, dedication, and professionalism that you have consistently shown MFO since you joined. Your work complements David's wonderfully.

As a former engineer, I am a stats/numbers junkie. Perhaps that's why I so appreciate your compilation of data. But I especially enjoy your ability to post not just the overall risk/return profile for the life of the fund, but also it's 1, 3, 5, and 10 years. Also your risk/return profile over a full market cycle is unmatched by anything I've ever come across.

My question to you, Charles, is how difficult would it be for you to produce the depth of information you have provided in the above example for MAPIX, but for any fund that we input in the risk profile search? I know that is asking a lot of you. But I thoroughly enjoy this extra depth of information. Keep up the great work!

Sincerely,
    Mike_E
  • After the Q4 distribution fiasco, I gave some time to think this one over. The fund has done well in the past and the recent rough patch has affected other funds in that sector as well. The two manager losses may have been more than the company could handle. So I sold my shares at today's market close. The funds will be consolidated into other funds I own.

I still own MAINX. Teresa Kong has proved to be not only a top fund manager in a difficult area, but she communicates with her shareholders. In fact I had received a email regarding a question on MAINX last year and the response was very good.

A difficult decision but it appears that MAPIX may be changing into something I didn't invest in for in the first place. If one doesn't have confidence in the management of the fund, then what else is there?

I sold this fund earlier than you, but for the same reasons. I completely understand your reasoning behind this move. IMHO, the volatility of the fund increased and the manager changes were not to my liking.