Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• there emerging market fund not so good is it? i wonder...
  • "If at first you don't succeed..."
  • It's a different Fund completely..... Different approach different team. Lewis Kaufman from Thornburg will be at the helm.
  • I wonder what they are going to do with ARTZX? If eventually they are going to merge the two funds together, and the new manager will get rid of everything which was in the ARTZX, there may be unusual tax consequences.
  • In the diversified EM equity space, SFGIX/SIGIX continues to be my pick, with higher returns than THDIX (Kaufman's previous fund) over the trailing periods of 1M, 3M, YTD, 1 YR, 3 YR and since inception of SFGIX/SIGIX. And SFGIX/SIGIX has lower standard deviations and higher Sharpe Ratios and Sortino Ratios over the past 3 years. I would definitely pass on the new Artisan fund and invest with SFGIX/SIGIX.

Kevin
  • @Kevin, not sure if that is a apple-to-apple comparison between Seafare and Thornburg funds. SFGIX has smaller exposure to EM space than that of THDIX, thus this reflect in the statistics shown. Besides the managers take on different approach with Mr. Foster being the more conservative of the two. Over the long run investors will likely to stay invested and perhaps net better long term returns. Having said that I prefer SFGIX over Mr. Kaufman's new fund as you are.
  • @Sven, they both look like apples to me, just different. SFGIX actually has more EM exposure according to M*, 68.37% vs. 65.97% for THDIX. SFGIX is definitely more multi-cap (average market cap $3.5B vs. $13.2B) and has more of a value bias. Finally, SFGIX has higher sharpe ratios over the past 1- and 3-year periods, and a higher sortino ratio over the past 3-years. Go Heels !

Kevin
  • Keep chasing performance, guys;)
  • JoJo, since you apparently decline to consider performance and risk parameters in selecting actively managed mutual funds, what criteria do you use ? Thanks.

Kevin