Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

the May issue is up

Dear friends,

Our May updates have been posted. They include:
  • a review of cash-heavy funds, both one-star and five-star worthies
  • a follow-up to a thread on the board about whether we're building a roach motel
  • Charles's new rating of fund family performance
  • SeafarerFest, including an updated profile and the conference call story
  • a profile of Towle Deep Value, one of the few unambiguously value oriented value funds
  • a follow-up to the board discussion of Grandeur Peak (Eric Heufner acknowledged the concerns raised on the board and asked for your patience until he's legally permitted to speak)
  • and a host of interesting short items on individual funds. For example, the founding managers have been removed from the four-star LS Opportunity Fund.
We worked hard to manage an early launch today, which might have come at the cost of a few minor typos than usual but we'll try to get them fixed quickly.

David

Comments

• Thank you David for your dedication and great work. We appreciate it.
  • Thanks David.

The ranking of fund families is interesting. I notice Turner shows up at the top of the pack. It looks to me like 3 of their 6 funds have not yet experienced a full market cycle -- TMSEX (2011), TSPEX (2009), and TTLEX (2011). You mention a “Fund Family Score Card” is in the works. Hopefully, it will separate the jack rabbit fund families from the tortoise fund families. Each have their place. But, its important to note the distinction.
  • Thanks David and all for another excellent commentary. I also enjoyed the ranking of fund families.
  • Thanks. I'm sure Charles will help talk us through the rankings. I also noticed the Turner anomaly, it sometimes seems more like a ship of the damned than a luxury liner. I have no doubt that the ranking is consistent with the data. The only question is whether the data is consistent with reality.

Off to the college!

David
  • @MFO Members: M* Turner Funds Mutual Fund Family Data Pages
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://quicktake.morningstar.com/fundfamily/turner-funds/0C00001JXQ/snapshot.aspx
  • Errata: "which might have come at the cost of a few minor typos than usual" should have read "which might have come at the cost of a few more minor typos than usual" .

David, that's just too funny- a typo in the typo apology!

:) Regards- OJ
  • (sigh)

or

(sih)
  • The ole memory fails frequently these days but seems like the manager of the Prospector funds was associated/managed with T Rowe Price Capital Appreciation early in his career.
  • Thank you as always!
  • edited May 2015
    @David_Snowball "I also noticed the Turner anomaly, it sometimes seems more like a ship of the damned than a luxury liner. I have no doubt that the ranking is consistent with the data. The only question is whether the data is consistent with reality. Off to the college! "

A couple of thoughts occurred to me as I was taking a beach walk along the Florida gulf coast this morning (a much simplified version of heading off to the college!). Something like these ideas might help make the rankings easier to interpret:

1. Include a second "APR vs Peer %/yr" column next to the first one to present data restricted to only the funds within each fund family that have been in existence long enough to have gone through the most recent full market cycle (or 10 years if the cycle lasts longer than 10 years). This would help to demonstrate if there reason to think there might be some level of persistence to a fund family's returns.

2. Include a Fund Turnover Statistic that ranks fund families based on the amount of churn there is in their portfolios of funds. Some fund families market funds that focus on themes that are hot within a particular market cycle. Others only market funds that have good prospects of enduring across multiple market cycles. A statistic that helps flesh out this distinction might be useful. This statistic might also shed light on which fund families have proven unable to sustain funds that should have endured through multiple market cycles.

• edited May 2015
    Though ya wouldn't expect it, the high cash position phenomenon is not exclusive to stock funds.
    RNDLX= 26% cash (just noticed last night; wondered why the monthly dvd had been a bit depressed as of late; well, wonder no more)
    http://www.rivernorth.com/mutual-funds/rnsix-rndlx
    BERIX= 30=35% MMkt and cash reserves, since beginning of 2015 (the highest in a decade)
    http://www.theberwynfunds.com/biffacts.pdf
  • edited May 2015
    Good stuff davfor.

Granted, the lifetime metric gives the family the benefit of doubt and for me serves as an initial look.

For the family data, that may be good enough.

We have the full, up, and down cylce evaluation windows, plus the fixed year windows for all fund metrics. So, easy to punch in say "Tuner", pull up the funds and look at the different time periods.

Here's summary of the 6 funds in the family...lifetime eval window:

Turner's alternative funds are rather young but one has very strong over-performance despite sick fees. Emerging Growth has amazing long-term performance, but most of it came during the late '90s. It outperformed in the full cycle from 200009 to 200710, but under-performed somewhat in current cycle since 200711.

Here's the data for last two cycles:

In any case, easy to see these three are volatile funds.

The situation is not unlike CGM...all three Heebner funds have great life time records, but most of out-performance was last decade.

Lifetime, great...

Current cycle, pretty bad...

Similar situation for Berkowitz's Fairholme, rough going near term...

I suppose we could do fund family ranks for all the different time periods, just not sure it would add anything that is not already available in the fund specific screens.

Honestly, my biggest reservation with the score card is impact of survivor-bias for families with a relatively small number of funds. Bad fund? Close it. And the family score goes up overnight. We just don't have dead/merged funds in our database...not yet anyway. Still think the scorecard is insightful though.
  • Excellent commentary as always. Though speaking of language, DailyAlts introduced me to “tenent” which appears to have been superseded in the late 16th century by its slimmer, modern cousin “tenet."
  • A question to Charles? Do you compare Turner Medical Sciences Long/Short TMSCX to Long/Short funds, or to healthcare funds such as Janus Global Life Sciences JAGLX? In the last case, the performance of TMSCX is incredibly bad as compared to JAGLX.
  • edited May 2015
    @Charles I am revising the May 2 post I made yesterday during my daily MFO visit. It was made shortly before I left on a cross country plane ride and it didn't really make my point. Here is a second effort.

The fund family rankings are a great idea! Its important to point the way towards fund families that are successful at helping mutual fund investors achieve their long term goals.

The Turner Investment screen prints you posted above make sense to me. My concern still relates to the proposed “Fund Family Score Card”. The intended audience is not clear to me. That audience might be significantly broader than the audience that routinely views the detailed screens. If so, then some sort of additional data or some kind of qualifying statement in the main body of the score card might be warranted.

Here are my reasons for continuing to think that way. Per my original example, I am looking again at the Turner Investment data. Here are the number of funds that have beaten their respective category averages over various time periods:

Life time: 5 of 6. (This is the basis of the Top Fund Family ranking.) Those funds are:

TSCEX +2.1, Originated in 1994
    TMGFX +1.5, Originated in 1996
    TMCGX +9.5, Originated in 1998
    TSPEX +2.8, Originated in 2009
    TMSCX +10.0, Originated in 2011

Here is out performance data based on the other relevant MultiSearch time periods:

Full Cycle 4 (09/00 to 10/07): 1 of 3 (TMCGX +7.7) originated in 1998
    Full Cycle 5 (11/07 to 03/15: 0 of 3

Last 20 years: 1 of 1 (TSCEX +1.6) originated in 1994
    Last 10 years: 1 of 3 (TSCEX +0.2) originated in 1994
    Last 5 years: 1 of 4 (TSPEX +2.1) originated in 2009
    Last 3 years: 2 of 6 (TMSCX +14.4, TSPEX +2.4) originated in 2011

Lifetime fund out performance appears in all cases to be based on an initial surge of out performance by each fund. Is this characteristic representative of a "superior" fund family that has been around for over two decades? (I realize the jury is still out on TSPEX and TMSCX.)

Part of this thought circles back to my original comment about Fund Turnover (survivor-bias). I am remembering back to the turn of the century and new Turner funds like TTPOX, TGTFX, TBTBX, and TIWCX. None of those funds are still around. (I wondered if enough long-term survivor-bias data was available to flesh out this characteristic.) But, this issue does relate to the characteristics of a superior fund family.

That's enough....The fund family ranking will definitely be a plus as far as I am concerned!

• edited May 2015
    Charles: What happened to the Permanent Portfolio family of funds?
    Did they cease to exist - or am I missing something?

Sorry - Think I answered my own question. You did not attempt to rank all families. I notice Hussman is also conspicuous by his absence from your list (but I can pretty much calculate where he'd go).

Good job. Enjoyed the family rankings.

• edited May 2015
    Thanks Hank.

So, right, Hussman just has four, but everyone has under-performed its peers over their lifetimes, although HSGFX is pretty much a push.

And Permanent Portfolio has three of four under-performers.

Here's the data...

Each has at least one Three Alarm Fund...

• edited May 2015
    @Charles - Very helpful - & Thanks:)
  • David -- TDVFX has piqued my interest. Any idea as to what extent they are team managed, vs. Mr. Towles (elder or younger) being the key person?

In the SV space I've got HUSIX. I don't mind the past year's poor performance (that will happen to any true value fund now and then) but the 1.85% ER has always left me queasy. TDVFX seems like a similar fund, but with a small asset base (about half as big, including both the mutual fund and separate accounts for both fund familiies) and their 1.2% ER strikes me as reasonable. What's not to like?

But I am increasingly wary about funds with a "great" man or woman running them, rather than a team with a deep bench. That probably is true for HUSIX too, but glancing at their website they at least have a bigger team behind Joe Huber.
  • Joe Bradley, Towle's head of client relationships and my contact with the adviser, writes: "Thanks for asking. We take pride in having a true team effort, meaning all five guys are viewed as portfolio managers rather than having an analyst/PM hierarchy you see elsewhere. We work together to build consensus around all decisions and all members of the team have input. The young guys have been there less that five years, but Peter’s been managing the portfolio with Woody for 14+ and Chris has been doing it for 20+. We believe we have refined the Towle “process” and are not dependent on any one individual."

On the question of benches, Towle has one strategy and five guys. Huber has three strategies and six guys (four PMs, two analysts), according to the Hubercap website.

For what interest that holds,

David
  • Thanks a million, David, for reaching out to Towle for me this time, and of course for the original report and all the work you do on this site.
  • Glad to help when I can. Still working on Primecap.

David
  • Glad to help when I can. Still working on Primecap.

David

Hi David,

The best of luck in getting Primecap Management to say anything of significance.

Regarding their "space" of investing, as a long time investor, I certainly hope they stay with US mid and large cap growth GARP only, where they have been so successful, and and not try to be everything for everybody.

Best Regards,

Mona