Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

You have the time, money & health. Where would you desire to visit/live for a few months?

edited May 2015 in Off-Topic
I've been fortunate, well actually worked hard and planned, to have traveled and lived outside of the U.S. during my young years. The rewards of being able to live in one place for several months or more, to really begin to absorb the culture and have a better understanding of "where you are" is tremendous.

I have two areas in particular that I would like to re-do; being Taiwan and Morocco. Not unlike everything else, the changes that have taken place over several decades would cause me to recall what these locations used to be.....how I knew and experienced them during the time of the first exposure.

Lately, I have an urge to visit for a several month period; a small community in France, definitely in the southern region, towards the Spanish border. Nope, I don't have a heritage from France. Perhaps I had a dream that I do not recall, that has triggered such an urge. I don't have the answer.

I've always preferred the small communities "discovered" during numerous travels to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan; and the same applies to many foreign locations, for me.

THIS query is not directed at the "older" crowd here, in particular. The vast majority of my travels were when I was young and fit. I had more energy than money, and returned from a 1 year European sojurn with a networth on my person, of less than $1.

Well, just a rambling away and aside from the world of investing. Must be the warm spring weather in Michigan is affecting my brain cells.

Hopefully, a few of you may choose to express, at least; a dream of where you would travel today to live for several months.

EDIT: several regular posters and others reading MFO currently live outside of the U.S.; but knowing you, too; have your "places to visit list".

Thanks and take care,
Catch

Comments

• edited May 2015
    Wow, there are so many places. Where to start?

California. The central coast. Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur, San Luis Obispo, and Santa Barbara just to name a few towns and cities. Beautiful country. Utah and Arizona. The canyons and the Monument Valley.

Farther away, Singapore, if you like big cities. Clean and efficient. The botanical gardens, and the man made forest are worth seeing. Australia. A big place with lots of natural landmarks. Tokyo. A huge mega city but full of everything you could wish for. Take the Hayabusa bullet train to Kyoto and check out the history. During WW2, the Americans took a lot of care to avoid bombing Kyoto because of the historical temples and shrines.

Alaska. The last frontier. Take a cruise up the Inside Passage and then a train to Denali national park.

There are so many more but I'll let others chime in. I hope you can accomplish some travels in the future.

Edit: I just noticed you said non-US in the title.
  • I lived and worked in Nuernberg, Germany when I was in my late 20's. Loved living in Bavaria and traveling to Switzerland, Austria and Italy to ski. Great location in central Europe to take long weekends just about anywhere.

Last summer, we took a month long road trip to various National Parks in the western US and Canada. Would love to repeat that trip...especially loved Glacier National Park/Banff/Jasper/Yoho.
  • Howdy @JohnChisum
    Geez........you triggered some brain cells with your mention of Japan. I was fortunate to stay just outside of Tokyo for about 6 weeks way back in 1969 during the cherry blossom bloom period. I also had a "ride" on the fairly new bullet train.
    As you are already outside of the U.S.; as well as others here, I should have worded my query differently.
    Thanks for the reminders; and yes, I agree, Japan is amazing, too. I have some wonderful night photos taken from the upper levels of the Tokyo Tower. The glow of all of the lights of Ginza and surrounding areas.
    Yup, too many places to visit, eh?
  • One of my favorite places I've ever spent time is Croatia. Zagreb is a great small capital city, Plitvice Lakes National Park is one of the most spectacular places I've visited in the world and Dubrovnik is beautiful. But in terms of a place to stay for a long while and just relax, the islands off the coast, in particular Hvar and Vis are places I could just relax for weeks, sailing, swimming and drinking local wine.

If you prefer the locals to speak english, I recommend Te Anau, New Zealand, a little less small and social, but it is a gateway to more amazing hiking and boating than you can shake a boot at.
  • Hi @little5bee

Ah, yes. Bavaria. Lived in Garmisch for about 3 months during the late fall and early winter period in 1973. One side trip provided a wonderful, sunrise morning view from the Zugspite.
    Recall that too much of my food intake there was from the bakery. The breads and sweets, OMG.
    Thank you for that rememberance.
  • Hi, catch -- One of my favorite memories of Garmisch was to go on my morning run...along with the cows with their giant cowbells clanging as they walked to pasture. Sometimes still think of my favorite backerei in Nuernberg;)
  • I've only been there once for a week, but New Zealand is fantastic. Great people, great lifestyle, beautiful and plenty of things to explore and do. Probably better in their summer season, but if that was an option I'd be happy to wait.

I have also loved almost every time I've been in Spain and I loved vacationing along the coast in Andalucía, but if I was going to visit for a few months I might choose Italy. The people there have always been very nice and having only experienced Milan and Sardinia, I think it would be fantastic to explore more of the country.
  • New Zealand, Tuscany, New Zealand, the countryside of Japan, Vietnam or Thailand, New Zealand, Austria and Cuba because now we can. I'd most definitely select Australia if I hadn't just been there (but I'd go back in a heartbeat) so instead you might consider New Zealand.
  • Hi @LLJB
    Recall most, but not all of the "Costa Del Sol". This portion of my travel happily consumed 2 1/2 months; starting at Gibraltar and eventually leaving Spain to travel towards Switzerland/Germany.
    The "tapas" bar........yum !
    I had a 1962 VW van/bus, so travel could be about whatever and whenever. The van storage contained among everything else, 10 glass wine bottles with the wire top seals.
    Lunch time during the travel would include stopping at the very small tavernas along the road. Many of the older establishments had hugh wine barrels mounted into the stone walls. I would always be sure to refill the wine bottles during these stops. The wines always had their own particular flavoring/taste, even though the wine type may be named the same, from region to region.
    I don't recall which village/city; but I discovered a most tasty, homemade carmelo flavored "flan/custard", of which; I consumed in large volumes. A sad day when I had to leave that area.
    At one point, I stayed in and around Tarragona for about 5 weeks.
    A wonderful country in which to travel, indeed !!!
    Thank you................
  • edited May 2015
    We enjoy being away for only a week at a time which limits us somewhat - but which also allows us to travel almost monthly. Aside from frequent visits to Florida and the Florida Keys in the winter, we do NYC 2-3 times yearly. There's so much to do there. The contrast between bustling city and our rural Michigan home is astounding and invigorating.

Michigan's Upper Penninsula offers spectacular sights. Great for summer road trips. A drive I'd recommend is north through Sault St.Marie, Michigan and than eastward through Ontario to the town of Elliot Lake, which offers nice lodging. From there it's a 2-3 hour drive to Manatolian Island in northern Lake Huron. We enjoy the 2-hour crossing of Lake Huron on the large ferry connecting the island to the Canadian mainland further south. You can walk on for a small fare and easily complete the 2-way crossing in an afternoon.

The island: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manitoulin_Island
    The ferry: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Chi-Cheemaun

There's so many things in the U.S. we haven't yet seen but hope to. California is in our sights, probably this year or next. Especially want to visit the Big Sur (featured in a favorite film "The Sandpiper") along with Yosemite National Park. Eventually, a road trip from Michigan through northern N.Y. State to take-in the mountains and other scenery. Niagra Falls is also something we'd enjoy seeing once. A long-shot we're considering is London, which would be our first foray overseas. We love live theater and, of course, the city has much more to offer.

I'll add to my wish-list a trip to some southern hemisphire destination during our winter months: Australia, Argentina, Chili, all fit the bill. Much as I enjoy air travel, flights longer than 3-4 hours seem very tedious. Am a very amateur astronomer, so viewing the southern sky on a clear night from down-under would be a treat.

• edited May 2015
    @JohnChisum

Recalling that, regarding your mention of Japan..........when I was traveling for a year (Europe/North Africa) perhaps 10% of those I met were long term travelers, meaning their plan was to travel for at least one year. The Aussies, both women and men fit into this group; although a 1 year plan was most common for them. The long term travelers, those in the early through mid- 20's age group, were the Japanese who had already been traveling for more than one year and/or planned another year for a total of 2 years. Just a pop-up recollection...........
  • The unencumbered year! Always a great thread.
    For several months: a place in Montana I know about.
    Shorter engagements: The Haute Route, Chamonix - Zermatt (the technical route, none I which I am capable of doing now)
    Alaska
    Hiking trek in Scotland (Isle of Skye, the "Wet" Highland Way, Munros) and Norway
    Antarctica, approached slowly through S America
    Geneva - anybody who would hire me to do anything. Great access point to other fun places. I could hang out there for a year.
    Space (not happening)
  • Pacific Northwest, Singapore and parts of Europe.
  • I think I could enjoy being bored on islands Harris and Lewis, then around Loch Maree, before heading to a given hill town somewhere south of Florence. Maybe stop in the south of France.
  • edited May 2015
    I have the time, money, and health but I am a boring kind of guy! I spend my time hiking between Kentucky, Tennessee, and North Carolina. Did you know Kentucky has more arches than any state other than Utah and Arizona? And Tennessee is full of beautiful waterfalls. I prefer off trail hiking because that is where all the sights are and the people aren't. I use to hike in the Sierras when I lived out west. Unlike a lot of my hiking buddies, I have no desire to leave the U.S. in search of adventure. I am very content living where I live and doing what I do
  • I'm an "emerging markets" traveler. I spent most of my early years in Thailand, so it's the country (outside of the USA) which I know best and is my fave country. Other countries I've visited, liked and would return to are (in no particular order): Peru, Guatemala, Mexico, Argentina, The Philippines, New Zealand (not an emerging market but a gorgeous country), Vietnam, The Maldives (best scuba diving in the world), and Sri Lanka. I'd also like to drive across southern Canada during the summer. I've been all over eastern Canada, but would like to see the Prairies and BC.

I have some frequent flyer miles and my wife and I may revisit Guatemala and a few other Central American countries this fall. Otherwise my traveling days have been put on hold for the next 2 decades as my wife and I raise a family and save for college.
  • New Zealand is a real treasure. I would like to visit there myself. Also I wanted to add Switzerland and the Black Forest. Beautiful country. Rome and the Vatican for the history and the art.
  • As an add on to the topic of Switzerland, the Montreux Jazz festival is spectacular. Also there's a train straight up into the mountains from there with friendly small towns scattered all the way to Interlaken, and a ferry to Geneva and all the lake towns in between.
  • Always have to smile at all the unhappy people with where they live! They always mention/dream of some exotic place as if that would change their un-happiness.
    If I had 10 x the money I have... I would live and still enjoy EXACTLY where I live now.
    My old hometown midwest friend once said "we go to Florida every year on Vacation, where do you go?"...I said I stay here and ENJOY...he looked bewildered, and didn't understand.....
    I smiled
  • edited May 2015
    @Tampabay

You've missed the entire notion of the thread.

I don't recall anyone mentioning being "unhappy", except you.
    Traveling to the point of staying in another location for a long enough period of time to learn, grow and enjoy is the focus of this thread.
    You need to read the thread again................and the subject line, in particular.
  • edited May 2015
    You tell him, Catch!

Tampa Bay - If you're not going to do some traveling with all that $$ you're earning ... WT# are you going to do with it?

Nobody can drink THAT much beer.
  • hank said:

You tell him, Catch!

Tampa Bay - If you're not going to do some traveling with all that $$ you're earning ... WT# are you going to do with it?

Nobody can drink THAT much beer

Especially Bud Light!

Mona

• You can't learn, grow & enjoy where you live? or you just want to get away from there?
    just wondering?
  • edited May 2015
    You can stay where you are!

No shortage of cars, tourists, old people, noise, congestion, heat, humidity, beer fumes mixed with the aroma of dead fish, decaying sea-weed and banana-oil sun screen ... and college kids getting trashed on booze & drugs every spring. I'm sure you find it all very enlightening.

BTW: There's also no reason to read books, magazines, newspapers or to take any educational classes if don't feel like it. To each his own.

• edited May 2015
    Based on where this thread has headed, maybe I should clarify my comments of..... "I am a boring kind of guy! I spend my time hiking between Kentucky, Tennessee, and North Carolina. ............Unlike a lot of my hiking buddies, I have no desire to leave the U.S. in search of adventure. I am very content living where I live and doing what I do....."

That is partly because in my younger years I lived all over the U.S. - from Louisville, Dayton, and Cleveland to Rochester and the Finger Lakes region to the coast of California, and the mountains of the Sierras and the mountains of North Carolina and more. Now I just want to relax and stay put in an area I discovered inadvertently (Mayberry USA)

Edit: Odd that in most of my younger years when I was travelling and living all over, I was dirt poor. Now that I am not so, I want to stay put.
  • edited May 2015
    Howdy @Junkster

I suspect most of us are pleased with where we live. I'm not unhappy with my location and have easy access to higher levels of education, a wonderful state to continue to explore and discover, and enough cultural exposure.....the arts, entertainment, etc. within short drive times.

However, as much as I have traveled outside of the U.S.; I would enjoy more, too.

Youtube lets one wander wherever.........and have a quasi experience.

But, not unlike sexual intercourse; reading about it or viewing it and being directly involved; are different experiences, eh?

So, I may be able to read and watch an online video about a small cafe outside of the city of Toulouse, France; however, I would prefer to sit at that table and eat the food.

Hey ! .............take care of you and yours,
    Catch
  • Well that's just crazy talk Catch. If you go to France you might learn or discover something new like a language or culture or who knows what else. No one wants that.
  • I would go to places I have seen on Netflix (New Zealand, Switzerland, South Korea, etc.) I would then attempt to see some of the beautiful places shown in the films.
  • New Zealand, Australia, Iceland and Canada - fun place to visit as a family.
  • Another fun thing in Switzerland that you would have to plan around but is truly an amazing experience is Züri Fäscht (link in german). (it happens once every 3 years and I stumbled upon it by accident)