Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Funds In Morningstar's 401(k)

FYI: It's a plan loaded with good long-term options.
Regards,
Ted
http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/article.aspx?id=714420

Comments

• Strange, indeed. First, I would hope M* gives its employees the option of a self-directed brokerage 401k. Second, there is surely very little imagination put into the selection of the list shown. Since many M* plan participants are rather knowledgeable, I would imagine they would pretty quickly opt for the self-directed option. I know that I would.
  • I was surprised that they don't offer one Fidelity fund in the lot.
  • edited September 2015
    Expense ratios are kind of high.

Reflecting MrRuffles' observation (thank you!) , I correct with strikeout.

I also don't see any sort of "target date" funds, which I thought had some sort of special "safe harbor" treatment as a default investment, but perhaps I am "mis-remembering" this preference given to "target date" funds in a 401k.

1% ER's in a 401K? .....
  • ibartman said:

Expense ratios are kind of high.

I also don't see any sort of "target date" funds, which I thought had some sort of special "safe harbor" treatment as a default investment, but perhaps I am "mis-remembering" this preference given to "target date" funds in a 401k.

1% ER's in a 401K? .....

Per the article: "I haven't listed any target-date funds. We have customized target-date funds designed specifically for Morningstar employees by Ibbotson Associates, which is part of the Morningstar Investment Management group."