Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Robert Shiller Gets Schooled On Supply And Demand

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• at least he didn't act like a demanding diva...wonder what Roubini would have done?
  • Just goes to show Shiller does not know everything. If he had volunteered to get off the plane, he might have come out ahead:D
  • That is actually the worst scenario. Finding another flight on your own at busy airports is rough. Most likely they have to pay full fare that $2700 may or may not cover.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2015
    I marvel at how the airlines have "educated" us to humbly accept the fact that they can sell us a product, take our money in advance, and then without warning at the last minute tell us that we can't have it because they also sold the product to someone else, and too bad about your life or whatever it was that you thought that you were going to do today. We've become the sheeple, and no one with the power to remedy this seems to think that this is an unacceptable commercial situation.

Note: corrected to include Mark's observation, below.
  • OJ - most likely all find the conduct of the airlines unacceptable but those with the money to affect change either own their own plane or fly on someone else's private jet/chopper.
  • Old_Joe said:

I marvel at how the airlines have "educated" us to humbly accept the fact that they can sell us a product, take our money in advance, and then without warning at the last minute tell us that we can't have it because they also sold the product to someone else, and too bad about your life or whatever it was that you thought that you were going to do today. We've become the sheeple, and no one with the power to remedy this seems to think that this is an unacceptable commercial situation.

Note: corrected to include Mark's observation, below.

I'm sure there is a disclaimer which no one reads when purchasing a ticket. I'm sure there is a legal loop hole to allow overbooking of flight or impractical to file collective lawsuit which means no lawyer will want to.

Objectivsm - What is good for me is good for others.
  • "I'm sure there is a disclaimer which no one reads when purchasing a ticket. I'm sure there is a legal loop hole to allow overbooking of flight or impractical to file collective lawsuit which means no lawyer will want to."

No doubt. The only entity with the power to rectify this egregious abuse is the government, and you just know that the present congress is going to help on that. Want to bet that they never get thrown off of their flights?
  • edited September 2015
    I don't believe Professor Shiller is getting "schooled" in supply and demand.

But certainly "schooled" in some sort of price-based discrimination. I believe the airline selected the Shillers because they had relatively inexpensive tickets, as noted in one of the press reports.
    After no passengers took the airline’s cash incentive to volunteer to give up their seats, the flight staff reportedly chose the Shillers to leave the plane because they had purchased their tickets via a travel web site. “Apparently our fare was the lowest,” Virginia Shiller told Marketwatch.
  • +1. Some wack inferring going on.
  • Coming next: a $50 surcharge to "insure" against getting thrown off the plane. "And would you like to purchase seat insurance, sir?"
  • ibartman said:

I don't believe Professor Shiller is getting "schooled" in supply and demand.

But certainly "schooled" in some sort of price-based discrimination. I believe the airline selected the Shillers because they had relatively inexpensive tickets, as noted in one of the press reports.

After no passengers took the airline’s cash incentive to volunteer to give up their seats, the flight staff reportedly chose the Shillers to leave the plane because they had purchased their tickets via a travel web site. “Apparently our fare was the lowest,” Virginia Shiller told Marketwatch.
    Did Schiller bid on Priceline for tickets? Funny that you can get a great deal on airfare and then get bumped by default because you bought the lowest priced tickets (or didn't book on the airline website or some combination of the two) and no one else volunteered to take another flight.
  • Just woke up and while going through my emails, I heard some pundit on CNBC diss one of Schiller's books, by saying he doesn't "account for the time-value of money"...ironic under the circumstances. Don't know what the context was, but it wasn't getting bumped from a flight.

This is eye-opening for me because I usually use Expedia (except for Southwest). In the future, I guess I'll shop on Expedia and buy on the airline website.
  • @ MFO Members: Another outstanding piece of tabliod journalism from our resident on tabloid news--Maurice
    Regards,
    Ted
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabloid_journalism
  • >Lesson On Supply And Demand

maybe more of a lesson on what happens when a small number of large firms control the air and the impact of mergers and consolidation.
  • The seats pledged to the Shillers were rehypothecated! (with the usual lack of transparency)