Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Why Belgium is Warning Citizens About Facebook Emojis

edited May 2016 in Off-Topic
"Belgium officials have issued a cautionary warning about Facebook: They're telling citizens not to use Facebook Reactions, if they want to preserve their privacy ... Belgium officials say that the Reactions emojis are allowing Facebook to collect information on users and sell it to advertisers."

What next?

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Global-News/2016/0514/Why-Belgium-is-warning-its-citizens-about-Facebook-emojis

Comments

• @MFO Members: Definition of Facebook ! Something to do for those people who don't have a life !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited May 2016
    @Ted.

Walking Zombies

Hate it when they:

(1) Run right over you in a supermarket, eyes glued to their screens.

(2) Ask to lower the shade by your window seat on a flight so they can see their screens better.

(3) Ignore a theatrical production, their bright screens distracting those who came to watch.

• Agree with respect to both F/B and the walking Zombies.

One memorable evening a patron at the CSO took a call during the performance and had a discussion. The conductor, David Robertson, stopped the orchestra, and all looked at the offender, who was oblivious.

I have mounted an "I'm not giving in" campaign with the CSO to tell patrons prominently to turn off cell phones and stop taking pictures. (And I no longer go to Yo-Yo Ma performances.) Some success: my complaints were actually registered in a report to management, which resumed the pre-concert announcements. Which get roughly the same attention paid to them - no, less - as airplane cabin announcements.
  • @MFO Members: Definition of Facebook ! Something to do for those people who don't have a life !
    Regards,
    Ted

Not sure how coming to MFO every day is much different. Going to any Web Site on a routine basis actually.

By using Facebook, I now get to see some of my grand kid's and other relative's pictures once in a while and I've reconnected with a lot of old high school friends. But to topic, I don't know what Facebook-Reactions is. Hope I'm not using it.
  • edited May 2016
    Not sure how coming to MFO every day is much different. Going to any Web Site on a routine basis actually.

+1 Much to my surprise I found I enjoy Facebook. I am in all sorts of hiking groups there. Learned of off the beaten path hiking areas (waterfalls, arches, rock shelters, and the like) I never knew existed. Have met and hiked with people I would have never had the opportunity to meet were it not for FB.
  • edited May 2016
    The Zombies reference was intended in good humor. Should have said some Facebook users act like zombies (mainly the ones who can't put their smart phones away during the two and a half hour hours it takes to view Phantom of the Opera).

Don't think Junkster falls into that camp. Doubt he's stumbling into trees while texting out on the trail.

Facebook vs MFO? There's one difference if you read the article. Apparently Facebook sells user data to advertisers - right down to their emotional response to topics discussed. I very much doubt MFO sells such information. So I'll be brave and end with an emoji: :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3458780/A-terrifying-glimpse-future-Mark-Zuckerberg-s-image-Facebook-zombies-reveals-virtual-reality-lives.html
  • Don't think Junkster falls into that camp. Doubt he's stumbling into trees while texting out on the trail.

Junkster is a Luddite. Never owned a smart phone or has ever texted. Still likes to use his VCR to record. What a dinosaur.
  • Junkster said:

Junkster is a Luddite. Never owned a smart phone or has ever texted. Still likes to use his VCR to record. What a dinosaur.

Junkster, you got me beat. I have never owned a smart phone, but about a year ago started texting. Now here is a challenge for you. Start texting on flip phone. But don't do it on the trail because for sure you will be stumbling into trees!

Mona