Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How do you rate this market ... a buy, a hold or a sell?

edited June 2016 in Off-Topic
Currently, I have this market rated a hold due to valuation since it is selling at a TTM P/E Ratio of better than 24 and with forward estimates being around 18. Since, I am within my equity allocation range of 45% to 55% (and being towards the lower number) I have now begun to watch the market (S&P 500 Index) more closely and with some interest. Since, I have already trimmed my equity allocation towards its lower range there is nothing more for me to do than watch the markets and if the Index should get to somewhere around 1950 then I may become a buyer in equities.

My earnings model for the Index that blends the TTM earnings along with forward estimates reflects that the Index is currently selling at a premium of about five percent. Plus, there are some technicals that I follow and factor in to determine my rating. I'll say this, that a sell (trim equity) rating is not out of the picture. I recently trimmed, in part, based upon a seasonal trading strategy.

We have now had five consecutive down days in the markets; and, with this, I am wondering if we are starting to enter another stock market selling stampede?

Comments

• @MFO Members: As I have stated in past discussions on this subject, I recommend you hold, however; if you sold in May and ran away, wait tell October to get back in.
    Regards,
    Ted

• If selling and locking in some gains lets you sleep at night, do it.

If you're looking for buys (as I am) set your alerts and DCA into new/bigger positions as volatility periods present themselves.

Otherwise, just sit back, grab some popcorn, and watch the show.....
  • edited June 2016
    You noted: "Currently, I have this market rated a hold due to it's high valuation since it is selling at a TTM P/E Ratio of better than 24 and with forward estimates being around 18."
    As your statement is directed towards "the market" being the equity side, we maintain about 30% towards equity; being the wide blend of ITOT , health care specific and FRIFX .
    We continue with the remainder in investment grade bonds; being corporate and U.S. government. No HY or other bonds at this time; as had been previously held. No cash (well, $29.75 that could not be positioned from a previous transaction). We'll sit with our current holdings, and watch as of 11:07am, June 16.

As to the market(s), I will mention again; in spite of the naysayers, this time is different (since the 2007/2008 market melt).
    We continue to adjust our thinking and habits from the many years of past investing trends and habits; and to remain flexible and adaptable.

The Power of Habit

Japan Government Bond Yields, as of June 16

NAME COUPON PRICE YIELD
    GTJPY2Y:GOV
    JGB 2 Year Yield
    0.10 100.77 -0.30%
    GTJPY5Y:GOV
    JGB 5 Year Yield
    0.10 101.85 -0.29%
    GTJPY10Y:GOV
    JGB 10 Year Yield
    0.10 103.05 -0.21%
    GTJPY30Y:GOV
    JGB 30 Year Yield
    0.30 104.49 0.14%

Regards,
    Catch
  • edited June 2016
    I'm a bit surprised that we haven't seen a (normal and routine) downward tumble in some time, even though there have been a number of events which normally may have served as a catalyst for this to happen. The "BREXIT" may be the straw that breaks the camel's back, and causes an unwinding of global markets.

Not buying, not selling, but waiting with a larger than normal cash stake.
  • @MFO Members: As I have stated in past discussions on this subject, I recommend you hold, however; if you sold in May and ran away, wait tell October to get back in.
    Ted, I was hoping you could make that rhyme, like "if you sold in May and ran away, wait till October for a better odor" or "wait till October to start your motor"....:)
  • PRESSmUP said:

Not buying, not selling, but waiting with a larger than normal cash stake.

Same here - sitting on a lot of cash. A lot of underlying global demographic issues taking place which should cause the market to correct sooner or later. But hey, what do I know - I'll probably be wrong!

• Waiting for the resolution of BREXIT issue to buy some European equity funds.