Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

BILTX DL Infrastructure

BILTX. Bad idea? Roads, bridges, airports??? Young fund. Are we really going to PAVE something, at last??? I think we need a new version of the WPA. Why the hell not?

Comments

• msf
    edited November 2016
    Ignoring politics for the moment, I'm having difficulty seeing the appeal of a corporate bond fund focused on infrastructure.

If this were a muni bond fund, I could see how it might make sense. It could invest in revenue bonds where the revenue came from tolls (roads, airport fees, etc.), land leases, etc. But these corporate bonds are backed by the general credit of companies broadly involved in infrastructure (or by the infrastructure assets of these companies). Does that make them more secure (in which case their yield should be lower), less secure (the reverse), or what? In short, what is it about corporations involved in infrastructure that makes their bonds more appealing?

This is different from investing in the stock of these companies. If one expects these companies to do well, then that will be reflected in their stock price and/or dividends going forward. As a disclaimer, I have a small holding in an infrastructure equity fund.

Regarding the particular fund - comanaged by two people with no prior fund management experience. DoubleLine doesn't even say they were analysts (unlike managers of some of their other funds), just that they were "members" of investment teams. New fund.

I don't see a compelling story here - I'm not sure I even see what the story is.
  • @MFO Members: U.S. News & World Report ranking of Infrastructure Funds.
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://money.usnews.com/funds/mutual-funds/rankings/infrastructure
  • msf
    edited November 2016
    According to the fact sheet, 1/3 is project financing, which is more or less the taxable equivalent of what I was describing with muni revenue bonds. That is indeed different from corporate financing.

In contrast, structured products are basically debt issued by a corporation with a synthesized risk/reward profile. A simple example is a principal protected (aka equity-linked) note. ETNs are another example of structured products. They can get much more complex.

The point is, there is an issuer (usually a corporation) and these are obligations of that issuer. These are forms of corporate debt. FWIW, that's also the way M* counts them (it says 2/3 of the portfolio is corporate debt).

Some of the target allocations and similar information described in the Core-Solution doc don't appear in the prospectus. So I'm not sure they represent much more than a hope. In contrast, the target credit range of BB-BBB is somewhat represented in the prospectus, that states that the fund intends to invest over half its assets in investment grade investments.
  • Thoughtful. Makes me want to look elsewhere, though.:)
  • I had serious interest in the offering from before and after inception; however, my enthusiasm has since cooled : I don't see much, if any, inflation pass-through benefit from infrastructure bonds as opposed to owning infrastructure stocks directly or a fund like GLFOX (which I don't own but which does buy infrastructure companies directly and not those which only invest) in them. See the difference?)

OTOH, I do own MIC, which itself is not an infrastructure stock but has the TR I'm seeking and is a suitable infrastructure proxy with its portfolio of assets IMO.