Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Seeking a recommending for investing in MLPs.

edited January 2017 in Fund Discussions
I wish to obtain exposure to the MLP sector without buying an individual equity MLP because of its hassles with regard to tax returns. I am looking for an ETF or ETN in the MLP sector which:

1. Completely avoids the tax-reporting hassles associated with owning an individual MLP stock.
2. Has reasonable Expense Ratio, i.e., less than 1%.
3. Does not have greater volatility than other products in this space.
4. Has excellent and representative performance for ETF and ETN products in this space. It does NOT have to be the top performing ETF or ETN if everything else is in place, as outlined above.

Simply put: if you had to choose one ETF or ETN for investing in MLPs, what would you select and why? Thanks in advance.

dlphcoracl

Comments

• I'd go with a closed end fund. Look at those offered by Tortoise .. I held TPZ for years, but they have several. You might not get *all* your criteria checked but still should do okay.
  • Hi DlphcOracl,
    Good to see you boarding again. Hope all is well. With the run in MLPs last year, just wondering what you're looking for. Income or do you think with the big guy in there means more to go? I'm looking to sell by year's end if all goes well. I guess what I'm looking for is your point of view.
    God bless
    the Pudd
  • Hi Puddnhead:

I am not looking for income via an investment in MLPs. I believe they are somewhat undervalued and will also have the wind at their backs in 2017 with The Big Orange in the White House.
  • AMLP the Alerian Index ETF might fit the bill. Top heavy in arguably the top 2 dogs in the MLP space and an 0.85% ER.
  • I thought CEM, a closed end fund, would provide capital appreciation for me without the headache of the K-1 tax form. I could not have gone into the MLP market at a worse time, so my tale is cautionary. I'm a lousy timer and CEFs can exacerbate errors.