Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• edited January 2017
    Canadian, eh? Outa Toronto. So, when they're talking about 25% of portfolio in international stocks/funds, it's from a perspective originating from North of the border. Two summers ago, I was up visiting an old friend up there. TAX-FREE bank accounts are available. The catch is, they pay less than 1%. I have a bank account (savings) that pays 0.1%. That's even crazier. ...Anyhow, the article recommends beefing-up on small-cap funds. I've been growing my portion. I've seen nothing better than MSCFX: +162% since inception, in Aug, 2011. Damn, I always forget that the fund is closed. Like a wild night with Kate Upton, but then you wake up by yourself. ;) ..... Sorry. Anyhow, my wife is in VSCIX, and it's chugging along. Pretty BLOATED, though.
  • edited March 2017
    @Crash

I've been thinking along those lines

• edited January 2017
    I think it is always wise to consider a global outlook in any investment and that is possible with income funds as well. I would guess the big fund companies like Vanguard and Fidelity and TRP have something. DODLX is a good one too. Great fund company.
  • DODLX clobbered my own PRSNX over the past 1-year period. On May 01, 2014, DODLX significantly changed its posture and strategy--- so notes Morningstar. Maybe that's why M* does not display returns beyond 3 years. Longer-term results could be found without much difficulty, of course. I think I have domestic bonds pretty well covered via MAPOX and PRWCX. In my portfolio, those 2 funds represent 52% of my entire total. And of course, PRSNX is a "global" bond fund, though I haven't looked lately to see just how much of it is in the USA. .... DODLX yield is 1.69% and PRSNX is at 3.44%. (30-day SEC yield is 3.92%, and I don't see a 30-day SEC yield number reported for DODLX.) My other rather large bond position is in PREMX. Doing very nicely. Others here prefer FNMIX, and I can see why.:)
  • edited March 2017
    @Crash

As a global income (vrs, international) fund it keeps a healthy chunk in domestic securities. As I'm working-out right now I can't easily provide the percentages. :) Regards
  • Keep in mind John Waggoner's pointers about the low need for international equity investing:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/01/16/investing-international-funds/21825245/
  • PRSNX 38% in USA, DODLX = 67%. I'm down to 7% foreign equity in portf.
  • I am around 20% after this last portfolio adjustment.