Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Super Bowl Prediction

FYI: For those of you who have followed my sports bet prediction over the years, know my record is not very good. However, today's prediction is a slam-dunk. Take the Pats and give the +3 !
Regards,
Ted

Comments

• I don't watch or like Football but I always vote for the underdog. Falcons win!
  • I have no idea who will win tonight but I think the Falcons have a decent chance of winning. I don't see it as a slam dunk for the Patriots, the Falcons have an explosive offense and their defense has really come along lately. Either way I think we will see a great game tonight. I am definitely pulling for the Falcons.
  • I have to pull for my second favorite team... that would be any team playing the Patriots!!!!!!!!! Yes, it's envy.

Falcons 27 Pats 24
  • Hi Guy,

Tom Brady amd Bill Belichick have been winners together for 17 years. That game management and leadership success history is hard to ignore. Ted and I are on the same page here. The Pats will win today!

Best Wishes.
  • edited February 2017
    I lived and worked in Atalanta during the mid 80's.

And, the saying around "town" was "Go Braves ... and Take The Falcons With You!"

One day while at Cumberland Mall (shopping) I put two Braves tickets under my driver side windshiled wiper blade. When I returned ... there were two more tickets beside the two I left. Yes, indeed it was that bad.

I'm hoping the Falcons can pull off an upset VICTORY over the Patriots! Go birds ... Perhaps, the Braves will follow.

Skeet
  • I'm taking the "over" on 2:09 for the National Anthem.
  • Hi Guys,

A great game with the greatest comeback in Super Bowl history!

Congratulations to both teams and their fans.

Best Regards
  • edited February 2017
    MJG said:

Hi Guys,A great game with the greatest comeback in Super Bowl history!

MJG: For your pleasure, 10 Greatest Super Bowl Games Ever (Opinions Will Vary.)
    http://www.ibtimes.com/best-super-bowls-ever-ranking-top-10-nfl-championship-games-2481942
  • MJG
    edited February 2017
    Hi Hank,

Than you for the reference.

I have not seen every Super Bowl game played, so I can not form an opinion of the greatest game ever. This game had several sloppy aspects.

That's why I said that the game was the greatest comeback game. I was just repeating an observation that was expressed by one of the TV football experts assigned to discuss it.

EDIT: it must have been a doubly meaningful victory for Tom Brady. His mom,was strong enough to attend the game. I noticed she covered her head with a kerchief My speculation is that she has lost her hair, perhaps from cancer. That's very sad if my guesstimate is nearly on target.

Best Wishes
  • I was rooting for the underdog - Falcons. But it was a thrilling comeback by the Patriots. This will goes down as one of the great game.
  • edited February 2017
    I remember the 1958 sudden death championship game. I was always a Unitas fan because he attended college in my hometown. This game tonight surpassed that "greatest game of all time." Even before tonight Brady was the greatest QB of all time. I will never understand the hate for Brady. In college he was barely on the depth chart his first two years. He was drafted 199th with little expectations of being much of an NFL QB. How can anyone dislike someone that worked his butt off mentally and physically to become the greatest QB of all time?? I am still having a difficult time processing tonight's game. I thought the Patriots were dead and buried.
  • edited February 2017
    Since we sometimes intensively discuss, and also misunderstand, probabilities here, history-based, and what it means to predict something, this may be interesting:

http://d2s3dt9f4iyeup.cloudfront.net/images/standard_v1/6372148d-b0ac-4162-a37a-5b802241d00a.png
  • Junkster said:

I thought the Patriots were dead and buried.

Hi Junkster,

Bad play calling after the amazing Julio Jones catch with a little less than 4:50 remaining unearthed the Patriots. By that point they were destined to choke.

Mona
  • edited February 2017
    I feel like the time I bought Inktomi for $20, watch it reach $200, then did nothing and it got sold to Yahoo for $6. Felt like the world was against me then. Now, this is a reminder, there is no such thing as a sure thing.

I didn't watch the game. I've learnt to stop watching any sport (my brain did an about turn about when MMA started catching up) that requires one person to hit another. Gradually I stopped boxing and now football. Ironic that in this day and age, some could call me UN(Patriot)ic while I stand near the photo of a fallen American (Falcon) team.
  • It's the little things that sometimes win or lose games. The turning point to me was when the Atlanta running back, Devonta Freeman, whiffed on blocking the Patriots defense-man Hightower. The result was Hightower getting to the quarterback and causing a fumble. Atlanta was marching to at least a field goal then. The 3 points that could have secured the win. Instead, Brady gets the ball back and drives for a touchdown. Uugggg.

"A missed block". Damn, Tom Brady is the best ever - I say reluctantly.
  • Howdy folks,

I bought 4 squares and had 8-8. OOhRah!

peace,

rono