Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Time-Stamp of Speculative Euphoria

John Hussman Weekly Market Comment, 2/13/2017

"If there's any point in U.S. stock market history, next to the market peaks of 1929 and 2000, that has deserved a time-stamp of speculative euphoria that will be bewildering in hindsight, now is that moment."

https://www.hussmanfunds.com/wmc/wmc170213.htm

Comments

• What's the word which is the opposite of "uplifting"? That would describe this article.

It sure would have been nice to have seen the normal and customary 10% corrections more frequently over the past few years. The spring is wound very tightly.
  • If I remember correctly Mr. Hussman has been a permabear and missed the run up in stocks for years.
  • yes you remember correctly.

He is perhaps not as bad as Henry van der Eb of the Mathers fund who I don't think has owned a single share of stock sine 1974!

I lost a significant amount of money with Hussman when the marker turned down in 2008 ( you would expect he would have been bullish after 2008 ) and he has kept going down

He writes brilliant pieces and has lots of reasons why stocks should drop but so far they aren't listening
  • He is expecting S&P gains being wiped out all the way down to 2000. Okay Hussman, thanks for my being my perpetual tax loss candidate year after year.
  • Someone had to take the torch from Steadman.
  • edited February 2017
    HSGFX lost .43% today. Puts it down over 4% year-to-date. But it's still early. Might still have a good year. Stranger things have happened.

While I agree things are overvalued, you don't stop a runnaway train by lying down in front of it.
  • Great quote @Hank.
    While I agree things are overvalued, you don't stop a runnaway train by lying down in front of it.
  • With trains, actually, that's one sure way, working every time (once per person).