Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

"The Big Short."

edited May 2017 in Off-Topic
Just watched. Steve Carell plays a part with actual personality and depth. And intelligence. The premise of the film is what actually happened. And it was a crime which nearly drove us all to bartering with sticks and stones again. And no one went to jail. Says a lot about this country's priorities and values. Imagine Mr. Rogers saying it: "Can you spell G-R-E-E-D, boys and girls? I just KNEW you could..."
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_big_short

Comments

• You need lots and lots of money to buy your innocence and these criminals had it in spades.
  • I read the book. Not sure I trust hollywood to make movie true to the book. Still, is on my list of movies to watch. Want to watch the Madoff movie that came out on HBO too.
  • The book is well written and the movie does a good job of explaining the somewhat complex subject of credit defaults. Interesting parallels with China today.
  • Thank you Preet Bharara for doing such a wonderful job prosecuting.
    A total failure.
  • Mitchelg said:

Thank you Preet Bharara for doing such a wonderful job prosecuting.
    A total failure.

Truth.
  • edited May 2017
    Picked up a used DVD at Amazon a few months back. Enjoyed the movie. Does a good job getting inside the heads of these "high-flyers". Very entertaining.

Thanks @Crash for mentioning.
  • I read the book. Not sure I trust hollywood to make movie true to the book. Still, is on my list of movies to watch. Want to watch the Madoff movie that came out on HBO too.

Robert DeNiro.
    http://nypost.com/2017/05/19/hbos-madoff-movie-is-a-powerful-character-study/
  • Mitchelg said:

Thank you Preet Bharara for doing such a wonderful job prosecuting.
    A total failure.

I think we may be a little harsh here. So called "white collar" crime not getting punished is old news. Blame both parties and government first, not one single lawyer.