Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Cost Of Missing The Market Boom Is Skyrocketing

FYI: Skepticism in global equity markets is getting expensive.

From Japan to Brazil and the U.S. as well as places like Greece and Ukraine, an epic year in equities is defying naysayers and rewarding anyone who staked a claim on corporate ownership. Records are falling, with about a quarter of national equity benchmarks at or within 2 percent of an all-time high.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-13/cost-of-missing-out-skyrockets-as-global-stocks-add-20-trillion

Comments

• Eventually, the cost of missing the market boom will be so high that the holdouts will capitulate and buy in.

We all know what happens next. But we aren't there yet.
  • Everything is relative. In my situation, I feel like I'm sitting on a pile of cash waiting for a shoe to drop. But...since I was 90% equity about 5 years ago, the harvesting of profits and allocations to a bucket 1 for several years of spending money have taken my portfolio to about 60% equity. So I guess the moral of the story is that I don't need to have 90% to have a foot in the market.
  • PBKCM said:

Eventually, the cost of missing the market boom will be so high that the holdouts will capitulate and buy in.

We all know what happens next. But we aren't there yet.

What do you pay attention to so you know when the holdouts are capitulating? I'm not a fan of trying to time the market or major adjustments/bets based on those kinds of things, but I would definitely adjust at the margins, taking dividends in cash as others do or taking some gains if they're close to my targets and/or need to be rebalanced.
  • Maybe Ted knows?