Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Venezuela May Default This Month On Debt Payments

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• TedTed
    edited October 2017
    @Maurice & MFO Members: Some funds holding Venezuela debt.
    Regards,
    Ted
    M*: The Case for Venezuelan Bonds:
    http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/article.aspx?id=826833
    PREMX

BEDIX

EMKIX

FNMIX

TGEIX

FTBFX

• edited October 2017
    @Ted, The link you provided took me to a M* sign-in page. I’m not inclined to fill in the blanks.

If the article you tried to link suggests that there might be a distressed debt buying opportunity in funds holding these Venezuelan bonds at some point, I’m inclined to agree - based on the apocalyptic blurb @Maurice cited. That’s because things are rarely as bad (or good) as the pundits would have us believe.

However, there’s a lot of different pieces in motion in this case: (1) the unpredictable and depressed energy market, (2) the exchange rate with the U.S. dollar - dependent to some extent on unpredictable U.S. Fed policy, and (3) the future health of the global economy - since EMs usually suffer more during periods of financial distress.

Bottom line: I like Venezuela’s baseball players more than I like their bonds. https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/cabremi01.shtml
  • Yes, I'm watching closely. PREMX has never let me down, ever since I got in, in 2010. The M* article mentions PDVSA bonds (or Venezuela in general) comprise 5% of holdings in PREMX. I like the monthly income, and it's been re-invested since I first started with PREMX. If there's an ootsy period of distress and itchiness, I expect I'll just ride it out. These days, it's 13.89% of my portf.
  • I own FTBFX. It has $4 million in Venezuela bonds on a $30 billion portfolio.