Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Terrific Twos: the top-performing two-year-old funds

We thought we’d start continue up with the 130 U.S. equity funds which have passed their second anniversary but have not yet reached their third, which is when conventional trackers such as Morningstar and Lipper pick them up. As Charles has repeatedly demonstrated, the screener at MFO Premium allows you to answer odd and interesting questions. When markets are rising, everybody’s question is the same: who’s making the most?

There are two ways to answer that. One way is to look at total returns. As of Halloween (our data is current as of the end of last month), the clear winner is the $8 million Zevenbergen Genea (ZVGIX) fund, a focused fund with an emphasis on tech. (What’s a “genea”? Old Greek word related to “genealogy,” it sometimes signals “a generation,” which aligns with the fund’s emphasis on have a long-term view.)

Zevenbergen Genea Fund ZVGIX
Multi-Cap Growth
23.6% annualized return since inception through October 2017

ProShares S&P 500 Ex-Health Care ETF SPXV
Large-Cap Core
18.1%

Leland Thomson Reuters Private Equity Index Fund LDPIX
Specialty Diversified Equity
17.9%

ProShares S&P 500 Ex-Energy ETF SPXE
Large-Cap Core
17.8%

Alambic Small Cap Value Plus Fund ALAMX
Small-Cap Value
17.8%

Sometimes a fund is good not because the fund is good, but because its investment style or focus is hot. For example, a hot energy market makes even bad energy fund managers look like geniuses. You’ll notice that two of the six top performers are distinguished for what they did not invest in: “ex Health Care” and “ex Energy” tells you that these funds are winning just because the excluded sectors are, for now, losing.

To control for that, we can look for funds that are distinctive better than their peers. Seven funds are beating their peers by more than 5% per year so far, with 50% of those being passive.

Leland Thomson Reuters Private Equity Index Fund LDPIX
Specialty Diversified Equity
17.9% APR since inception
13% annual lead over their (in this case, irrelevant) peer group

Zevenbergen Genea Fund ZVGIX
Multi-Cap Growth
23.6% APR
10.7% annual lead of their peers

ProShares Russell 2000 Dividend Growers ETF SMDV
Small-Cap Core
15.5% APR
7.2% lead

HCM Dividend Sector Plus Fund HCMZX
Equity Income
14.9% APR
7% lead

ProShares S&P MidCap 400 Dividend Aristocrats ETF REGL
Mid-Cap Core
13% APR
6.1% lead

VictoryShares US Small Cap High Div Volatility Wtd Index ETF CSB
Small-Cap Growth
13.8% APR
5.8% lead

Invesco PowerShares S&P 500 ex-Rate Sensitive Low Volatility Portfolio XRLV
Multi-Cap Core
13.4% APR
5.2% lead

Only two of the six funds with the highest total returns are also substantially leading their peers. Half of the peer beaters consciously factor dividends, which sometimes signals the quality of a firm’s management, into their strategies.

Bottom line: it’s not important to know that a fund is winning. It’s important to know why a fund is winning. That’s hard to suss out, but relative performance and some idea of portfolio biases gives you a place to start.

Off to Dallas for a professional conference. Pray for me!

David

Comments

• Thank you David. You highlighted Alambic Small Cap Value Plus Fund ALAMX. Alambic is another California-based shop. A quant shop. Each of its four young funds have outperformed out of the gate (click image to enlarge) ...

• Chuck shows ALMGX inception as 12/29/16. MS the same. That would make it 2 years young 12/29/18.
    Derf
  • Right. ALMGX was not listed in David's essay. I was just keying on the impressive start of Alambic's line-up. Good? Only ALAMX is a Terrific Two. The other three are younger. c
  • edited November 2017
    The Morningstar link (when I click on the funds) appears briefly, then I get an "error" message. Same thing happens when I try to look at the "quote" pages directly from Morningstar. Poop! ...Just looked at them via Google Finance. They want a $50,000.00 minimum to get in. They're not operating that fund for the likes of me.
  • Crash You are not the only one having problems at M*. I am experiencing the same issues as you.
  • Yup, and I just went into M* to look at my own real, existing portfolio there, and the share prices don't match when I click on particular holdings. Then the error message appears --- each time. I bet they've been hacked and screwed by some evil fart-bomb who poses as a human being out in public...
  • The quotes pages aren't working, but you can get to other pages for each fund manually. For example, to get to the performance tab of ALAMX, use the link below. (For other funds, substitute their tickers for ALAMX in the url.) From a fund's performance page you can get to most of the other tabs (though "quotes" still doesn't work).

http://performance.morningstar.com/fund/performance-return.action?t=ALAMX
  • Just added metrics to screen for "Terrific Twos" with MFO Premium MultiSearch tool (click to enlarge)...