Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Butterfly?

Anyone here put their money in a "Butterfly?" A friend e mailed me this morning to tell me that today was the day for employing the Butterfly. I had never heard of it and I am almost to RMD time. Have I missed something?

Comments

• edited March 2018
    Was the email a hack that appeared to be from a friend? Any clickable links?

Options trading term:

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/butterflyspread.asp
  • The email was really from my friend and I looked it up. I was just curious if I was the last to know about such an "investment."
  • I don't do options, but recalled the term.
  • @larryB- Sounds more like "gamble" than "investment". The horses might be more fun.
  • @Old_Joe.... Butterfly sounds like something you would hear on an infomercial for get rich quick schemes at 0500.

• Butterfly spreads are options trades when you think the uderlying stock or ETF will stay within a given range. Some options trades do have weird/funky names to them.

Say ABC is at 32.51 ... you can set up a butterfly spread with the max profit reachedat either 30 or 35 if you think it will move into that range.
  • And you can also set up a spread on the horses if you think that they can move into a certain range.
  • I always liked the name iron Condor
  • @MFO Members: This my kind of butterfly. I use it every night in order to sleep.
    Regards,
    Ted:)