Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

March Madness Is Here, And Warren Buffett Knows I’m An Idiot

FYI: March Madness is here, and save yourself the trouble: Instead of joining the office pool, simply wander into the break room and set fire to a pile of cash in the kitchen sink.

See, I saved you all that anxiety. You’re feeling better already. And you didn’t have to watch Duke. Or find truTV with the remote.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.cetusnews.com/life/March-Madness-Is-Here--and-Warren-Buffett-Knows-I’m-an-Idiot.rktM6GNKz.html

Comments

• @Ted, I'm impressed. I didn't even know Warren Buffet knew you! :) sorry, couldn't resist.
  • Go 'Zags! Wed. 1:30 EDT vs. UNCG, in Boise.
  • Better have a comfortable cushion @Crash! The game is scheduled for Thursday...
  • Ouch. Thanks for the heads-up. Different webpages were telling me different things. But you are correct.
    http://www.krem.com/article/sports/gonzaga-bulldogs/cbs-sports-broadcaster-picks-gonzaga-to-go-to-final-four/293-528189182
  • The Zags just did survive to play Saturday. Didn't see it, but looks from the box like a lot happened in the last :30 or so.
  • Zags dodged a bullet !!
  • My "local" teams in the tourney are Syracuse, St. Bonaventure and U of Buffalo. Rooting for all but none have much chance.
  • @MikeM, love that Syracuse zone. Duke used a really spread-out, active 3-2 today against Iona. Not the whole game like Syracuse, but they really play it well, just like the Orange guys.
  • edited March 2018
    Yes, from watching St. Bonaventure in 2002-2007 or so, I marvel that they are in the dance. I lived 40 minutes away in Ellicottville back then. Zags DID "dodge a bullet." Played like slobs. There were some key turnovers and a vital 3-pointer in the closing minute or so. I watched the whole thing. Until the final few seconds, UNCG could have tied the game if they'd managed to sink a 3-pointer.
    https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/uncg-spartans-gonzaga-bulldogs-201803150233/
  • @AndyJ , yes, I noticed Duke has been playing zone more often. Coach K and Boeheim are buddies and Boeheim assists coach K with the Olympic teams, so I'm not surprised Duke uses it occasionally.

Stayed up 'till midnight watching Buffalo clobber mighty Arizona. If you haven't seen the Bulls play, they are a fun team to watch. Much more so than the Orange.
  • @ Crash:Did u see play where offense player pushes defensive player into player dribbling the ball. Call was on the defensive player. I'm still trying to figure that one out! Last minute of game.
    Play ball !!
    Derf
  • edited March 2018
    MikeM said:

@AndyJ ...Stayed up 'till midnight watching Buffalo clobber mighty Arizona. If you haven't seen the Bulls play, they are a fun team to watch. Much more so than the Orange.

Saw it, @MikeM; first time I even knew there was a Buffalo U. or whatever it is. They looked great - I always like good guard play, and they had that in spades.

Was that level of play pretty normal for them, not the game of their lives? If the former, I'd love to see them play 'Nova; what a game that could be. Not to be, unless they both get to the F-4, tho.

Not unhappy to see crooked Arizona swept aside.
  • @AndyJ , I've been a die-hart follower of SU basketball since the 80's, loved the Big East. But I have to admit I did not even know UB had a division 1 basketball program until a few years ago. They went to the NCCA's a couple years ago too when Bobby Hurely was coaching them. That was Hurley's stepping stone to a bigger program at Arizona State.

So, don't know much about the Bulls but they were so entertaining last night I definitely have to watch them play Kentucky - another team easy to dis-like.
  • edited March 2018
    Derf said:

@ Crash:Did u see play where offense player pushes defensive player into player dribbling the ball. Call was on the defensive player. I'm still trying to figure that one out! Last minute of game.
    Play ball !!
    Derf

Yes, I think I know the play you have in mind. It was re-played right then, on tv. Happened too fast for me to really catch whether or not the ref's call was a dog. The foul ended-up to be called against UNCG, correct? There was one particular Zag throughout the game who had the ball in his hands quite a bit: couldn't sink a free-throw to save his life. Jeez.
  • edited March 2018
    UMBC crucifies Virginia. Nice surprise, but I bet it wrecked everyone's brackets. My own B.A. was earned just a stone's throw down the road from UMBC, and my niece attended there. :)
  • TedTed
    edited March 2018
    @MFO Members: Go Ramblers !
    Regards,
    Ted:)

• Being a UMBC faculty member, I'm quite happy with the past 24 hours on the basketball front. :)
    Crash said:

UMBC crucifies Virginia. Nice surprise, but I bet it wrecked everyone's brackets. My own B.A. was earned just a stone's throw down the road from UMBC, and my niece attended there. :)

• I don't even know what the acronym UMBC means. Help?
  • @MikeM: University of Maryland, Baltimore County
    Regards,
    Ted:)
  • edited March 2018
    UMBC might have a decent chance of making it into the 16 - playing K-State. That is, unless the VA game was the game of their lives.

Buffalo didn't make it, but they did well, really even in that KY game they lost by 20. The KY not-really-students were sizzlin' hot late.

Cool that Loyola's back; their color-barrier-breaking nat'l champ'ship in '63 was a big moment in sports, and TX Western (UTEP now) came next in '66. Don't know of a film/documentary about Loyola '63, but 'Glory Road' about TX-W '66 is a great one.
  • Syracuse versus Loyola in the finals. Yes, you heard it here 1st.:) GO 'CUSE!!!
  • How much would you like to put on that,with winning wager going to MFO ?
    Derf
  • I don't normally take part in the March madness but i sure am proud as a former Baltimorean to see them in play. I left in 2001 but still visit Baltimore when I can, especially for their steamed crabs and a bucket of Bohs.
  • Sadly, we're out of it now, but I daresay we won the heart of the nation. Campus is still going nuts and we're all thrilled at what's happened thus far, obviously.

Until next year!!
  • ...And it's Gonzaga vs. Florida State, coming up.
  • edited March 2018
    So the Zags avoid Xavier; makes their path a little clearer. But Tx A&M wiped the floor with NC, and they may be the toughest out in that regional.