Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Pain Makes Comeback For Mutual-Fund Investors: How Did Your Funds Perform In 1st Quarter ?

FYI: Brace yourself before checking how your funds performed in the first quarter, which officially ended March 31. Many likely lost money.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.telegraphherald.com/news/business/article_464dafcd-334f-5a76-8c18-c1087ebf2a28.html

The Linkster's Fund Performance 1st Quarter:
TRBCX: 5.70%
MSOPX: 5.31%
QQQ: 2.98%
PONCX: -(.56)%
IVV: - (.84)%

Comments

• Pop-culture financial infotainment .... one quarter's lackluster performance is irrelevant for long-term investors who know that markets move both UP and DOWN.
  • Yes. Still, a quarter is a metric of time. Add 'em up. Time and money is what it's all about, right? A week or a month are irrelevant.
    PRIDX did best for me: +2.35.
    Next, PRDSX at +2.01.
    WORST: MAPOX, -3.59%.
    Bonds:
    PREMX -.9
    PRSNX +.15

I own more than that, but those are the high- and low-lights.
  • beebee
    edited April 2018
    I may need to go on a fund diet, but here is a snapshot of my funds and how they collectively "added to" or "subtracted from" the portfolio for the quarter on a percentage basis.
  • MSEGX was my best at +9.72%, worst was RHS at -4.93%. About 50% were above water, rest below
  • PDI +2.64%; everything flat or down

Some of those growth funds cited did remarkably, should check their holdings ...

ah, TRP Blue is one-quarter in Amz, F/b, MS, Alphabet, and Apple; good on them

http://portfolios.morningstar.com/fund/holdings?t=TRBCX&region=usa&culture=en-US

FDGRX (e.g.) is a hair under TRBCX for the quarter.

In the last 4.5y FDGRX has beaten DSEEX by 6% and TRBCX has done so by a smidgen. Go, growth.