Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Are we all lost in the wilderness

2»

Comments

• From here in balmy Columbus, Ohio, where the current 4 degrees is the warmest 7:30 AM all week by a long shot, this is an interesting thread for sure. Like a number of friends here who started with FA, then moved here to MFO, the attraction has always been the wide variety of topics and opinions. Add to that the overall politeness of most participants and the generosity of host David, and we have a web site that is totally unlike ANY other investment source. My contributions are miniscule compared to some others. But I hope that my experience guiding clients who think I am intelligent enough to be paid for my advice translates into some logical thoughts once in a while on this board.

Along the way we have had a few folks who had agendas that were pretty clear, whether it was to convince us that indexed annuities, with all their outrageous expenses and unintelligible prospectuses and contracts, were the answer to everything, to some folks who were just downright rude and caustic. But through it all, a core of nice people willing to share and learn, continues to make this web site the success that it is.

David's dedication to putting out a quality source of information is unheard of in the investment world. And keep in mind, folks, that MFO is not backed up by the largesse of any deep-pocketed fund company or broker-dealer. It is truly run on a shoestring, I think an amazing accomplishment. Bravo, David.

So, are we in the wilderness? I think not. There will always be some time periods when topics/comments are fewer/less germaine than others. Then there will be a flurry of great activity.

As for folks who get all hot over stock funds that lose 5% in a month, understand that is not unusual at all. ANY investment can and has lost that much in a month. The great thing about MFO is the discussion of how to mitigate the down markets by either creating diversification, adding less-correlated holdings, or, even better, putting together a mix that matches your risk tolerance. While I personally think a 5% loss in a month is miniscule, I understand that some people reach for Pepto-Bismol when this happens. We are not alike! Surprise! I have clients who have never owned anything but Treasuries and CDs, and I have some that have owned nothing except rental real estate. Then there is the one who spends a lot of time trading options.

So gang, MFO has been through a lot in its many years and incarnations. My guess is that we will continue to have these kinds of discussions that are both healthy and reassuring. Group think? Not hardly, given the variety of us characters who love this site.
  • Howdy BobC,

Thank you for your time and efforts here; to help all of us become better investors.

Regards,

Catch

• Reply to @BobC: Thanks, Bob. 'Nuff said.

Regards, OJ