Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Falcon's Eye and other changes

edited February 2014 in Fund Discussions
Good afternoon.

A few of you have already noticed that Falcon's Eye is missing.

Accipiter and I have been prepping for moving this site onto a new server. As part of that preparation, we're trying to clean up here.

The Falcon's Eye feature seemed to be a target for web bots looking for vulnerabilities. Since the Falcon's Eye features are incorporated into The Navigator, we thought it would be more efficient (and improve performance) to just keep The Navigator.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Chip

Comments

• TedTed
    edited February 2014
    Chip: What happened to my 2015 Lincoln Navigator ? If its not found I'm going to consider it stolen.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited February 2014
    Sorry, I deleted it. Because youtube videos that have nothing to do with technical discussions and announcements, just hamper my ability to deal with comments.

And I will have to continue to delete youtube videos in discussions that I need to see to provide technical help, or else I can not be providing technical help effectively (since youtube slows down my ability to read discussions).

So please refrain from adding youtube videos to technical related discussions.

However @Ted feel free to repost your off-topic video in the off-topics category. And continue to ask technical questions in the technical questions category, but I will have to ignore discussions in technical questions category with youtube videos in them.
  • edited February 2014
    Reply to @Accipiter: Amen
  • Reply to @Accipiter: Much obliged.
  • edited February 2014
    @Ted
    since you guys insist on posting unrelated youtube in technical site related questions and discussions.

too hard for to deal with my slow internet connection and browser.

Good-bye I am leaving the site and will not be fielding any more technical questions.

I wish all of you the best, except for @Ted who has driven me from the site.

@chip - i can help you with the one last database migration, since everything else appears to be working, after that. I have to say goodbye.

• edited February 2014
    Reply to @Accipiter: I'm sorry that's what had to happen.

Thank you for all the hard work and best of luck. You will be missed.
  • Reply to @Accipiter: It is sad it has come to this. Warnings have gone unheeded. Thanks Accipter for your hard work and diligence. It has not gone unnoticed by most of us. All the best.
  • Oh no Accipiter, Oh no! Thanks and thanks again. This just can't be happening. Makes me so upset.
  • Dear friends,

I deleted the two recently attached videos, and I'm modestly surprised that they appeared in the first place. It seems to me that Accipiter made an entirely reasonable request, that folks not attach videos to technical threads. His argument struck me as reasonable - he's been our chief programmer and the fact that he works with a dial-up modem makes it near impossible for him to open threads with video clips, so folks should avoid attaching such recreational videos.

I'm saddened that folks thought the appropriate response was to attach two more videos. We're in the midst of a major project - trying to transition the site to a virtual private server to help address serious stability and reliability concerns. I'll note that Ted himself has been pressing us to make such a change for more than a year. It's costly, complicated and frequently frustrating. The transition requires a fair amount of reprogramming and a lot of hours contributed by two highly skilled volunteers.

And now it stops.

I'm not sure quite what to do next. I'm modestly reluctant to try to find and educate a commercial programmer who might reasonably charge $40-60 an hour, especially since much of the programming needs to center on the discussion board software which was recently updated. We'll need to use the newer version on the new server, but it does not easily support much of the functionality that Accipiter (with Chip's support) managed to build into the current version. The two of them, on a sub-forum invisible to most folks, exchanged more than 100 notes as they inched things forward. There's much left to do.

David
  • edited February 2014
    Reply to @Accipiter: Adios, Accipiter, thank you for your good work for so long. I'm sorry you've had to deal so directly with this silly, juvenile mess.
  • Reply to @Accipiter: With all due respect, I refuse to go on a guilt trip that I'm responsible for you leaving MFO. I hope you reconsider your decision and for what it's worth my sincere apology if I offended you.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • A compromise solution for those who want to point to a video of interest would be to just include a link in their posting and not paste the whole video. Those who are interested in looking at the video can always click on the link. It is similar to the etiquette of pasting links to interesting articles and not posting complete articles. Not sure if the link expands to a video while pasting, but if it does that hopefully it is straightforward (easier for a non-expert like me to say:-)) to prevent that behavior.
  • edited February 2014
    Reply to @Accipiter: Thanks for everything and so sorry. I think you're being too hasty and wish you'd reconsider. But, I understand and respect your decision.
  • It stinks that Acciptiter is leaving!
  • edited February 2014
    This reminds me of years ago when one student in the class misbehaved and the whole class got punished. I enjoy this site very much and find it beneficial as well as no doubt others do. I am very sorry to learn that the action of one has caused a most valued behind the scene principal to choose to leave. This saddens me greatly. I can only say ... Thanks Accipiter for all you have done and I can assure you, you will be missed by the community as a whole. I sincerely wish you the very best. And, know though sometimes alpha type people do things without much thought as to how their actions might effect others (in this casue you).
  • Thanks Accipiter for your efforts, sorry to see you go. Old_Skeet is correct, you will be missed and Crash is correct, it stinks.
  • edited February 2014
    thanks for the kind words all of you. It appears we have reached an understanding, and I will continue to help out.

I trust you all will try to keep technical announcements and technical discussions free of youtube and videos and unnecessary images. The easier it is to view the discussion, the easier it is to solve the issue, and respond to feedback.

• I would hope that this incident has brought on new appreciation for what Accipiter does behind the scenes, and with a dial up modem at that. A big thanks to Accipiter.
  • Reply to @Accipiter: Thanks a lot for your help and your decision to stay on.
  • Reply to @JohnChisum: I would hope that this incident has brought on the realization that posting on this message board comes with responsibilities as well as its freedoms. There are certain individuals who treat it like its their own personal play toy.
  • Reply to @Accipiter: Ditto what Kaspa said.
  • Accipitor- I've been holding my tongue for a change, not wanting to add fuel to the fire. I'm immensely relieved that you've changed your mind and will continue to be available as an almost irreplaceable resource.

Sometimes we just have to think about what's good for our community, and put our own feelings in second place. Not all the time ... just sometimes. Thanks for taking that option.

OJ