Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Looking for a Multisector Real Asset Fund

beebee
edited April 2014 in Fund Discussions
Trying to gather some fund choices that incorporate gold / silver (CEF), miners (TGLDX), energy (PRNEX or VGENX), commodities (SKSRX or PCLDX, materials (VAW, VMIAX), natural resources (PRNEX), industrials (VINAX), real estate (PAREX, VNQ, FRIFX), maybe even TIPs (VIPSX) all into one fund that is either managed or fundamentally indexed.

Basically, I'm looking for a "multisector real asset fund" (like a multisector bond fund) with a strategy to manage inflation risk and identify mispricing (value). T. Rowe Price offers PRAFX which M* catagorizes as a World Stock fund which makes finding similar funds hard to filter.

Comments

• edited April 2014
    @bee
    Howdy bee,
    Short on the time thing here today..........but a little something that may help.
    Click on the "Resources" header in the title bar here at MFO and then click on "The Navigator". At "The Navigator" page, and the "type in the name of the fund"; type in "real assets". A list will populate below this area with fund names that use this term.
    Also think of any other word terms that may apply, such as: real return, which will generate a similar naming list somewhat related to your query.
    I have not reviewed any of the listed funds.
    A tiny bit of help, perhaps.
    Take care,
    Catch

• beebee
    edited April 2014
    Interesting White paper that documents the benefits on how owning equal amount of Real Assets (Timber, Farmland, Property, and Energy) with a 60/40 (equity / bond) investment. Paper contends adding real assets in equal amounts to a 60/40 investment lowers the overall volatility (by as much as 50%) while also slightly increasing returns verses purely holding just a 60/40 fund. Paper also documents that real assets did not provide downside protection when markets retreated. Finally, real assets did not provide an inflation hedge over the timeframe studied (1978-2012).

Another point made was the difficulty of finding well designed real asset investments for small investors who often use vehicles like mutual funds or etfs.

From this Paper:
    In this paper, we considered the performance of direct investments in three real asset classes: natural resources (namely timberland and farmland), energy infrastructure, and commercial real estate. Using publicly available data for a period starting in 1978 (for real estate) or 1996 (for infrastructure) and ending in 2012, our main result is that investing in these real asset classes would have provided significant diversification benefits relative to a traditional portfolio consisting of only public equities and government bonds, without evidence of deteriorating overall performance. While investments in natural resources had particularly low downside risk, investments in energy infrastructure and commercial real estate showed significant downside risk, comparable to a traditional portfolio of equities and bonds.
    Another important caveat is that with the exception of timberland investments (and commercial real estate for 1978-1987), the real asset classes did not provide any inflation hedging benefits over our full 1978-2012 time period. Further, the diversification benefits of direct investments in natural resources were much lower in times when equity markets went down.

White paper needs to be downloaded from this link:
    https://dgfi.com/White-Papers/Direct-Investments-in-Real-Assets
  • I don't know if I think there's truly a "good" one. Cohen and Steers offers a multi-manager one, which includes a portion in commodity futures.
  • No idea if it's "good", but FSRRX?

Holds TIPS, floating rate income, REITs, and commodities in predefined target bands.
  • beebee
    edited April 2014
    A somewhat "real" estate fund from Fidelity that has impressive performance and downside market risk is FRIFX...maybe a combination of these two funds (FSRRX / FRIFX). Thanks.
  • Principal Diversified Real Asset (PRDAX) probably fits the bill, but I'm not too sold on Principal Funds in general. Gives you TIPs, REITs, commodities, etc. Unfortunately going to have to pay a load on this one.
  • GlobalAl said:

Principal Diversified Real Asset (PRDAX) probably fits the bill, but I'm not too sold on Principal Funds in general. Gives you TIPs, REITs, commodities, etc. Unfortunately going to have to pay a load on this one.

This fund is load waived at Fidelity. Just an FYI.
  • edited April 2014
    A fund that popped up in a search that may or may not fit your criteria - PMARX.
  • I like FSDPX for Materials Stocks (ex Energy) combined with FSCHX for Chemical STocks also partially related to Agriculture. IMO, Both funds have good performance history. I have owned FSDPX many years, and consider to buy FSCHX at the right moment (and I'm not limited to Fidelity funds!)
  • edited April 2014
    Pimco has a fairly new, tactical, multi-asset real return fund, PIRMX (but no stocks aside from REITs), launched 2011. Their other commodity & real return funds are pretty decent, so it may be worth a look if one of the several share classes works for you. About PIRMX, from M*:

Worah and his team seek to provide an all-in-one real-return solution by tactically allocating among five inflation-related asset classes. U.S. Treasury Inflation-Protected Securities form the largest component, followed by commodities, emerging-markets currencies, REITs, and gold. Worah adjusts the fund's positioning based on PIMCO's macroeconomic outlook and real asset views ....

• edited April 2014
    Plugging "all ass" =) into Multi-Search, I find:

And for "real ass" I get:

Although I know PAAIX has fallen from grace on the board, I think it offers a lot of what you are asking for, except maybe pure precious metals. Here was review last time I looked: Three Messages from Rob Arnott.

And, here is David's profile of T. Rowe Price Real Assets (PRAFX). It's had a rough time in this bull market, as you might expect.