Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• edited April 2014
    Yup.............central banks around the globe have seen the light and will be mending their foolish ways; employment with a fair living wage is on the rise everywhere, technology will spur many new areas of work for the masses to help return a middle class among many economies, tax increases to run and fund governments will begin to decrease to provide more spendable income among the working families, and there's more..............
    Can't help but imagine anything less than a 90/10 equity/alternative portfolio and ride the equity dips to the very end of a career. Check the portfolio balance once a year and be happy. The equity train rolls on.

EDIT: Oh, dear.....I discovered my tongue stuck in my cheek.
  • Uncle Catch has broken into the "powdered stock equity" cabinet again... drinking the 90 proof Kool Aid always ends badly.

I do agree that holding individual bonds to maturity and using a laddered bond strategy makes sense as rates rise, but a good bond fund manager should be able to execute this for small investors, Most small investors don't have the resources ($) or time to excute this themselves.

• I have been advised to go with 20% equity, 50% bonds, 30% short term. Age are 80+78.
    Assets are suitable in retirement to cover all estimated expenses to age 95.
  • One of the posters here considers SS as part or all of their fixed income piece of the pie. That's not a bad idea, especially with bonds as they are at the present. Something to consider.
  • One of the posters here considers SS as part or all of their fixed income piece of the pie. That's not a bad idea, especially with bonds as they are at the present. Something to consider.

SS is included in total assets when doing a cash flow retirement plan.

• MFO Members: For what its worth department, the linkster's asset allocation at age 77.
    Regards,
    Ted
    Money Market: .18%
    Mutual Funds: 10.3% (All Equity Funds)
    Individual Bonds & Preferred Stocks: 13.02%
    Stocks; 76.5 %
  • catch22 said:

Yup.............central banks around the globe have seen the light and will be mending their foolish ways; employment with a fair living wage is on the rise everywhere, technology will spur many new areas of work for the masses to help return a middle class among many economies, tax increases to run and fund governments will begin to decrease to provide more spendable income among the working families, and there's more..............
    Can't help but imagine anything less than a 90/10 equity/alternative portfolio and ride the equity dips to the very end of a career. Check the portfolio balance once a year and be happy. The equity train rolls on.

EDIT: Oh, dear.....I discovered my tongue stuck in my cheek.

Grin. Yes, I saw that. :)

• edited April 2014
    @Ted. Ha! Pretty much "All In" looks like. You're a better man than I.

It's been 356 trading days since market dropped below 200 day average...and then only for 3 days.

It's been 683 days since we've spent any extended time (2-3 months) below 200 day average...back in fall of 2011.
  • I wouldn't recommend @Ted's allocation to my worst enemy:-) And I am saying this as someone who will have a beer with him any day if I ever meet him. He seems what you see, no more, no less. That is refreshing even if I don't necessarily agree with his opinions or attitude all the time.

@charles, this is why women make better money managers because they don't equate risk taking with manhood (yes, I know your comment was flippant):-)

I don't know Ted's financial situation or his contingency plans for the risk he assumes so I cannot speak for the propriety of his choices. But he is also a guy who keeps track of the market on a daily basis and not afraid to trade when needed and be highly concentrated. You can make money that way.

Without that context, however, his unqualified investment suggestions seem irrelevant to most if not dangerous. That is the downside of online forums.
  • Ted said:

MFO Members: For what its worth department, the linkster's asset allocation at age 77.
    Regards,
    Ted
    Money Market: .18%
    Mutual Funds: 10.3% (All Equity Funds)
    Individual Bonds & Preferred Stocks: 13.02%
    Stocks; 76.5 %

Thanks for sharing, Ted. How many stocks do you own? Assume just a handful considering your philosophy of concentrating on best ideas. You certainly seem
    to have a good feel for the market and the ability to keep a regular eye on your
    investments.

• @Kaspa: At present I hold 21 stocks.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @cman: I wouldn't recommend my portfolio to my worst enemy either.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Ted said:

@cman: I wouldn't recommend my portfolio to my worst enemy either.
    Regards,
    Ted

Good one.:-)