Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• edited May 2014
    "Count Pioneer Investments among the big money managers dipping a toe in emerging markets again after years of disappointing returns for the asset class."

Huh? MAPIX:
    +6.19% and +14.69 over the last 3 and 5 years. Top 6 and 7 percentile. But I note that M* changed its category. "Diversified Pac/Asia," not EM any longer.

SFGIX +0.26% over the past (difficult) year. Top one-third of category.

I've held EM for a long time. Matthews makes me happy. Ups and downs. I try not to chase hot sectors. Stick to a plan. Admit mistakes before they become paved mistakes...
  • MAPTX is up 4.56% YTD. Yep, Matthews is doing something right.
  • Not too sure of difference between "EM" and "Frontier" (maybe they all ride horses and wear guns on the Frontier?) but WAFMX "Wasatch Frontier Emerging Small Countries" is up 4.82% YTD, and I'm quite happy.
  • @Old_Joe,

Sometime back there was a thread on that same thought. I remember that Qatar had been reclassified from frontier to emerging and how that would be good news for EM funds. I don't know the technical difference but it's just another of the new names being used for funds as of late.
  • "Frontier" = even less developed that countries which are not yet "developed." TRAMX. For example. I hold it. Doing very well. But it might hold some of those reclassified from Frontier to Emerging.

As of 12th May, '14, TRAMX is up +11.4 ytd and +27.33% over the last year. NAV is $10.11. This is one of my good luck stories. I got in at $7.19. It's just 2.72% of portfolio.