Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Seafarer Conference Call Today

Comments

• edited June 2014
    After announcing a crackdown on corruption in the banking industry, and recent stories re. problems with (over)hypothecation of PMs and commodities as collateral, there seem to be a lot of anecdotal stories recently about middle managers and traders having unfortunate accidents falling off of tall buildings. Perhaps someone will ask Andrew, in his discussion of China's wall of worry, if he sees this as an "early indicator" of difficulties ahead.:)
  • Happy to see Singtel as the largest holding.
  • Any highlights? I was off being depressed by a doctor and missed Andrew's call.

David
  • edited June 2014
    http://quotes.morningstar.com/stock/nlg/s?t=XSTC:NLG

Worth noting. SFGIX owns about 2% of the total assets of this Vietnamese conglomerate: NLG. It looks--- with a 3-letter ticker --- to be a type of animal unfamiliar to me. And it looks brand-new. Hmmmm.

I read the report of the conference call. Great to have. Thank you.
  • Crash said:

http://quotes.morningstar.com/stock/nlg/s?t=XSTC:NLG

Worth noting. SFGIX owns about 2% of the total assets of this Vietnamese conglomerate: NLG. It looks--- with a 3-letter ticker --- to be a type of animal unfamiliar to me. And it looks brand-new. Hmmmm.

I read the report of the conference call. Great to have. Thank you.

It looks like NLG is the ticker in its home market.
  • Ok....M* had ZERO info on its page about NLG.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2014
    @David_Snowball.

Ha!

Some MFO pair we make.

We were camping in Monterey. You know, trying to be a little more like the Harbor Seals in this picture, which was taken while bike-riding along Bay Coastal Trail near Cannery Row...

Best I could do was Mr. Foster's briefing. Here's link to pdf:

Seafarer Conference Call - 26Jun2014

Let's trust others on the board called-in and will share some highlights or impressions.
  • Uhh ... wow.

I did read the slide deck and Andrew's latest letter, we also exchanged notes today about just-filed changes to the prospectus. He's really good.

Leaving at 6 30 for Will's last tournament. He's ready for it to be done.

More soon,

David
  • edited June 2014
    @Charles
    Glad you were able to enjoy the Coastal Trail on a balmy day. The last time I walked that beach, the wind almost ripped the clothes from my body! Where are you "camping"--- at Clint Eastwood's lodge?:)

@David_Snowball
    I'll be looking forward to the prospectus changes Andrew Foster wants to make, as well as to the report of your visit with Bryan Krug at the M* conference (I have suspicions--- just a wild guess--- you are hoarding it for the monthly commentary).
    Good luck with The New You Plan, and stop being such a baby re. the legumes; if you treat them gently/respectfully, and don't overcook, then they're good to go:
    http://news.health.com/2014/06/09/are-you-eating-enough-powerhouse-vegetables/
    p.s. low salt diet is considered 1500 mg/day or less
  • Thanks, big guy.

Will's team dropped in the quarterfinals. A tight game under, well, it wasn't anymore.

Still working on the "how do I get all this done?" thing, which explains the lack of a thread on Mr. Krug and Artisan. The short version: he's going to be very happy and well-supported there; if you liked what he was doing before, there's a good prospect you'll like version 2.0 considerably more.

As to legumes, did you ever see with the Brits do with them? I'm shaken, years ago. I'll never look a bean in the eye again.

Cheers,

David
  • edited June 2014
    >>>if you liked what he was doing before, there's a good prospect you'll like version 2.0 considerably more.<<<

Where is cman when he is needed? I would sure like to know the basis of the above statement. Junk bonds have had their greatest bull market ever in both magnitude and duration dating back to mid- December 2008. So to no surprise, the junk bond market based on its three valuation metrics - percentage trading above par, yield, and spread to Treasuries - is by far the most overvalued in history. Only the spread to Treasuries is below its all time peak. I have spoken fondly of the Ivy junk bond fund (WHIYX) numerous times here in the past when Krug was at the helm and it was my favorite trading tool in Junkland. Krug is operating his new fund just like at Ivy with a mixture of junk and bank loan. Where was the praise and applause on this board when Krug was at Ivy and outperforming year after year? After all these years, I just don't understand the sudden Krug enchantment and to believe he will generate anywhere near the returns of the past in the present junk environment is ............
  • Hi, guy.

By virtue of age, size and load, Ivy's outside our coverage universe which is why I haven't said anything about it. To be clear, I'm not arguing that Artisan HI is going to produce 8-9% a year as Ivy has done. Sorry if I left that impression. The argument is narrower: Mr. Krug seems to believe that he will have more freedom and support at Artisan than heretofore and so believes he'll be able to do a comparatively better job.

For what that's worth,

David