Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

our July issue is posted

Despite waves of storms that took down my power four times yesterday and have led to the cancellation of the Quad Cities' fireworks display. (We're approaching the fifth highest flood crest ever and they can't safely shoot stuff from the fireworks barge or the bridge crossing the Mississippi. Nuts.)

Stuff that we wrote:

• A follow-up on last month’s story about how to be informed without being addled. Josh Brown, Tadas Viskanta, Jason Zweig and I all weigh in on specific strategies and leads for you. Really. Famous people helping out!
  • A report on two striking keynote addresses at the Morningstar conference, one of which was lucid, provocative and coherent. The other was from the world’s most famous investor. Wanna guess which of the two generated more fawning, uncritical media attention? (Hint: it was the one that MFWire described as "impassioned and often charming."
  • Ed’s reflection on the state of the industry and why the fear of losing is, more and more, destroying the prospect of winning.
  • A profile of the Artisan High Income (ARTFX), Artisan’s first fixed-income fund which was entailed by the hiring of Bryan Krug. Apparently the word is leaking out since the three month old high yield/leveraged loan portfolio has attracted $300 million.
  • From the other end of the alphabet, a profile of Zeo Strategic Income (ZEOIX), which offers a vastly more risk-reduced take on the high yield/loan universe by targeting short duration high yield bonds from issuers Zeo trusts with secured loans to create an intriguing cash management option.
  • A recognition of the cool things that Meb Faber and Andrew Foster (separately) have been doing.
  • Highlights from FundFox on the month’s most important litigation affecting the fund industry.
  • Word on the launch of Advisor Perspective’s advisor-only discussion board (we’re not advisors but peeked in anyway).
Plus, the usual assortment of developments, changes, closings and reorganizations.

For what that's worth,

David

Comments

• It is always worth a LOT, Mr. Snowball. Thank you.
  • As always David, thank you for your efforts. Thanks to everyone else who contributed.
  • edited July 2014
    In the ARTFX writeup, thanks especially for the link to the research report on non-IG credit, David; good info there.
  • Happy to see that Columbia Acorn Emerging Markets Fund is closing soon. Anyone else interested in this fund?
  • Thanks as always....and especially for the absolutely stunning picture in the 2nd paragraph.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @AndyJ Agree. That white paper is a fairly recent posting; apparently, The Professor did a last-minute check and was able to capture a little polish for his review. Perhaps we should start a thread, just so MFOers don't overlook a thorough, data-rich white paper update to this asset class.

@EMinvestor
    @Maurice
    Wow, I didn't know Columbia funds Z shareholders still existed. That's almost like saying you're a Jacob Javitts Republican. You guys are reZilient!
  • reZilient
    Flag!!! Flag!!!:-)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2014
    I read this month's Commentary and attachments, references. Great presentation, as usual. Thank you, David, Ed, Charles. Whom did I forget? So sorry...