Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Events of the past 24 hours.

Sometimes events like the shooting down of the Malaysian 777 several hours ago will have effects on the markets as the investigation and diplomacy take center stage. This may have some investors think about being in certain markets over the weekend. The end of the week could be volatile.

A well known phrase among pilots; "There but for the grace of God go I." Rest in peace to all the passengers, crew and the families. They came from all over the world. The world wants answers as to why.

Be cautious.

Comments

• John- just wondering- were/are you a pilot yourself? Sounds like maybe so.
  • No I was not but I have acquired a fascination in aviation. A good friend if mine who has since passed was a senior captain for United. He flew the 747 from JFK to Tokyo. His son is taking up the profession and is almost finished with training. Also flying a fair amount adds to this.
  • I took MH from one end of their route system to the other, in 2003. Newark to Cebu. The stewardesses? Strikingly gorgeous, in neck to ankle paisley gowns. Great service, including an overnight transit-hotel room near KL--- INCLUDED in the cost of the ticket.
  • Generally speaking, the Asian legacy airlines are superb in their service. They will take care of you when problems arise. A couple of years ago we missed a connection on All Nippon due to weather. They put us in a nice hotel, meals and transported us back and forth all on their yen. I have heard good stories about Malaysian but I'm afraid this tragedy may be their last straw.
  • I hope they don't just go away. Seems to me that's what happened to (Greek) Olympic. :(
  • Yes and I was also thinking of PanAm. Malaysian is in a horrible debt situation after the MH370 incident. The airline has government support but it is a small airline.

I hope the whole world comes together on this probably through the UN. Australia lost 27, the US lost 23, and Europe is well represented amongst the dead.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hey, Mo, I really like that idea. With you there!
  • That is not a bad idea. Putin feels like he can run roughshod over everyone else. It's time someone put their boot down and showed some mettle.

Sorry for getting political here but it won't happen with this current administration. He is more concerned about fast food and fundraising.
  • Well John, I won't bite on that one, but if the EU had any balls they might at least threaten something of the sort. I doubt that Russia has all that many flights to the US- at least, not enough to cause any real disruption to their overall service. The EU is another kettle of fish.
  • You have a good point. The EU really needs to step up here.

I watched PM Tony Abbott of Australia on the tube yesterday. He is showing some strength on the matter. I don't know how much Russia depends on Australia's commodities but if it is significant there might be some pressure applied there.