Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Let's Iron out some things

2»

Comments

• Hi Old_Skeet and thank you for your insights. Indeed, I see the beautiful simplicity in how your system allows you to evaluate bigger or smaller pieces of the portfolio, which I also attempt to do with the portfolio xray tool.

Your sleeves tend to be the "areas" (large cap, mid cap, small cap, developed international, emerging markets, bonds and alternative- meaning real estate, commodities, currencies, etc.) that I allocate assets to and then my "sleeves" tend to be growth vs. value. I'm wondering whether that's an oversight on my part. I don't focus much at all on the overall aggressiveness of my portfolio, which is very aggressive I would say, and I'm sure I suffer far more volatility than most would be comfortable with. I do pay attention to the income that my investments throw off, but mostly as an afterthought rather than a plan. It seems I have some things to think about as I start my planning cycle for the next year to 15 months. Thanks again!

VintageFreak, please have one more beer for me, you deserve it!!! Friday night I'm opening a bottle of Rioja and making a toast to all the wise people I've read or discussed with here.

Cheers,
    LLJB
  • beebee
    edited August 2014
    LLJB said:

Friday night I'm opening a bottle of Rioja and making a toast to all the wise people I've read or discussed with here.

Cheers,
    LLJB

'04 reserve picture here...bought at Costco...very wise move. Enjoy!

• beebee
    edited August 2014
    And Ted I hope you come back!

Ted
  • Costco has some great wine at very good prices!!! I have bottles of Stag's Leap Cabernet and Catena Malbec on my shelf from there and if you ever see Muga Rioja its not cheap but its the best I've ever had.
  • Hi, big guy.

It struck me that this thread was going to good and interesting places before it started accumulating ... hmmm, barnacles on the hull. I scraped them off as neatly and quietly as I could, but there's always that curious discoloration left behind.

Cheers,

David
  • edited August 2014
    Hi hank,

Seems David has done some editing and removed some of the subject comments. It is much cleaner now. Perhaps, Ted will give some thought about the big picture and will choose to return. I am sure David will handle this objectively as Ted was no doubt a value to the board. And, I have no problem with him returning. I just hope he will choose to be more civil to all and not as abrasive with his comments as he has been in the past.

Old_Skeet
  • Reply@Old Skeet:

Thank you. Appreciate you confirming my suspicion the thread had been edited. I agree with your sentiments on the larger issue as well. Guess I've engaged in so much past dialogue on that matter that I'm worn out. (Hope I haven't screwed up the thread too much. Not sure if my post went under the topical thread as it should have or perhaps by accident into the older thread you linked.)

Anyhow ... Thanks &Take Care
  • But why does the photo show the 2004 Cincel? Did you mean 2004? (Have never held a rioja for 20y, did not know that was ever a good idea with not a lot of tannin.)
  • But why does the photo show the 2004 Cincel? Did you mean 2004? (Have never held a rioja for 20y, did not know that was ever a good idea with not a lot of tannin.)

You are correct...I sipped, I mean Slipped...2004 it was.
  • I am not a fan of diversification and even less a fan of fund of funds. As for IRNIX it makes no sense. I count 24 of its 25 top holdings as junk corporate funds. That category has returned 3.19% YTD with many greater than that. The woeful IRNIX, a poor man's junk fund of funds, has returned only 2.17% YTD.
  • >> I sipped, I mean slipped

very good, must steal