Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Use of Three Buttons When Posting

2»

Comments

• Old_Joe said:

Yes, you're correct. In that case, the alternative might be to take a screen shot, upload it to Jing or an equivalent service, and then link to that. (This essentially converts the image to a format which the MFO Image Tool can use, and a location that MFO can access.)

A question for you: If you are using a browser other than Firefox, can you advise me what the process is for acquiring the image address? When/if I revise the MFO User Guide that would be good info to have.

Thanks-
    OJ

Sure OJ. Here's how to find the URL of the image for those using Internet Explorer 11, the most recent version. (I'm using Windows 7, and not sure if those using Windows 8.1 or even Vista or XP might see something a bit different).

Step 1: Right click the graphic image that you want to appear in your post.
    You will then see the below drop down menu. The last item in the drop down menu is Properties. Click Properties

A window appears showing the properties of the graphic image.

The red arrow points to the URL of this graphic image. Note that the file extension ("ending") is .gif

The MFO Image tool seems to work great with the standard graphic image file extensions, like gif, jpeg, jpg and png

• Hi rjb- thanks so much for your great help on this. I've copied your two .png graphics for use in a possible revision to the site user guide. Your providing graphics instead of written explanation is brilliant!

Regards- OJ
  • Old_Joe said:

Yes, I believe that you have cleared that up. In fact, that's pretty much what Accipiter said, above:

all you do is click on the image icon and post a full http link to the image (which generally ends in jpg, png, or jpeg, or gif).
    Thanks! OJ
    ....But I did just that, and it did not work. :(
  • Crash- what browser are you using?
  • edited August 2014
    click on the icon to the right of the C and post the link below in the popup box, it will indeed work.

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/uploads/userpics/611/nUOJTNHFCLS7X.jpg
  • Mozilla Firefox.
  • try the above @crash
  • edited August 2014
    Crash- with respect to Accipiter's link (above) DO NOT click on that link: Copy it and then paste it into the "picture icon". (If you click on it it will take you directly to the picture, but it won't allow you to show the picture in your post.)

• Ok, I'll give it a shot. So we've got software that just doesn't like each other. So this is a reach-around technique? .......
  • Crash- OK, I'm using a Firefox variant also. If you place your mouse over a picture and right-click your mouse, a small box with the "Copy Image Location" option should appear. Yes?
  • Nope, sorry. I've given up. I DO recall there have been random other times when I posted a visual link and it DID work. Thanks for your time. I gotta actually DO some stuff today.:)
  • Crash said:

Ok, I'll give it a shot. So we've got software that just doesn't like each other. So this is a reach-around technique? .......

its not reach around. its how you do it.:)

• edited August 2014
    Test-a-roo, with Windows 7 and I.E. 11

• and same to yoo!
  • Catch: it's a thought. But I've become allergic to anything connected to Microsoft, Bill Gates, ------ buggy, lousy. Spam and crap-magnet. I don't know anything about Linux other than it exists, or I'd dump Windows, too.
  • edited August 2014
    Crash said:

Catch: it's a thought. But I've become allergic to anything connected to Microsoft, Bill Gates, ------ buggy, lousy. Spam and crap-magnet. I don't know anything about Linux other than it exists, or I'd dump Windows, too.

when you have time. click on the box on the bar above the comment

that looks like this image

then a popup box will appear that will say

Enter image URL:

then you enter the url of the image e.g.

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/uploads/userpics/611/nUOJTNHFCLS7X.jpg

then click ok.

further explanation

when you right click on an image (e.g. your avatar), you get options in firefox like copy image location. then the image location is stored in your buffer.

so after the popup box appears that says:

Enter image URL:

you can just paste the url from your buffer by pressing control-V or pasting the url in that box and pressing ok. that put the info in the body of the comment that you are going to post.

Firefox is not dependent upon OS it works, in linux, windows , etc.

I think someone with video capture software needs to make a video for you.
    I don't think it has anything to do with your software, just need to finetune what you are doing so it is the correct steps and procedure.
  • OK, NOW what I'm running into is that I'm able to copy the URL, but then I go to copy it into the popup box and the command is not highlighted so that I can then PASTE that into the little box. Sheesh.
  • edited August 2014
    Cancel
  • For Technology Challenged MFO Members Like Myself:: I going to ask David to have this thread translated into English.
    Regards,
    Ted