Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Which Way For The 10-Year Yield ? Poll

FYI & Vote: The yield on the 10-year US Treasury hit a 52-week low today for the first time in more than two years, as moves in interest rates continue to confound the bulk of investors.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.bespokeinvest.com/thinkbig/2014/8/7/which-way-for-the-10-year-yield.html?printerFriendly=true

Comments

• I'm thinking we see 1% before 3%.
  • Lower/steady. Too much nasty stuff going on globally; and higher rates would also place a further grinder on weak economies.
    'Bout time, in the timetable of history, for another good war.
  • 'Bout time, in the timetable of history, for another good war.
    Seems like we already have a fair number to to choose from...
  • Currently German 10 year= 1.06%, US 10 year= 2.39% (Spread= 1.33%)

One year ago: German= 1.69%, US= 2.58% (Spread= 0.89%)

If spread shrinks to 89 basis points, our 10 year would be 1.95%

• edited August 2014
    Good point- that may be the hardest riddle for the Fed to deal with: Europe cannot raise their rates because they are still on the borderline of recession and deflation. If our economy moves ahead markedly, we might need to start raising our rates to repress inflation, thus totally pulling the rug out from underneath Europe. This could get very tricky...
  • edited August 2014
    So far the results are a bit distressing from a contrarian point of view. If you asked at the beginning of January which would come first 3.50% or 2.50%, I bet you would have received something like 95% (or higher) for 3.50%. Higher rates were all but inevitable (so said the pundits) and one of the surest bets around in many a year. As an aside, and it's still early so maybe much ado about nothing but the S&P futures have fallen out of bed this evening down over 12 handles after being down even more.
  • US launched limited air strikes in Iraq.
  • "Limited" to what, exactly? Stay tuned for the next exciting chapter in this story!
  • edited August 2014
    Most of the pundits on the radio are still predicting a 10 year at 3% by year-end. I think many readers of bespoke may be contrarians and not typical of the media pundits
  • edited August 2014
    Pimco is predicting 3% before 2%, unless "something pretty nasty" happens:
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/101904424
  • It really is different this time; at least for the time being..........................; cause history is yesterday.
  • "It really is different this time"

Yes, it surely is, because of the unprecedented intervention of the Fed and sister Central Banks worldwide. There's a lot of strings in this ball of twine, and if the wrong one gets pulled, anything could happen. We've never been here before.
  • US launched limited air strikes in Iraq.

JohnChisum, I believe it was authorized to strike if necessary. But I don't believe any
    strikes were launched.

I think 2 things happened:

1. Authorization of strikes if necessary, e.g., if US citizens were to be put in harm's way
    2. Humanitarian relief for thousands of people on a mountain without food or water. They fled there for their safety from the fighting. Food and water was dropped, or will be very shortly

• "Limited" to what, exactly? Stay tuned for the next exciting chapter in this story!
    "The initial strikes were limited to the frontlines around Irbil to relieve intense pressure on US-backed Kurdish fighters, but the White House signalled it could expand its military commitment."

The Guardian: US forces bomb Isis militant positions in northern Iraq
  • @Old_Joe: This is a sideshow, don't let this deter you from investing.
    The 10-year Treasury note 10_YEAR +0.37% yield, which falls as prices rise, was down half a basis point at 2.420%, the lowest close since June 2013. The yield fell as low as 2.350% overnight, according to Tradeweb. It’s down 8.5 basis points in the week.
    (Source): MarketWatch
    Regards,
    Ted