Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Off-topic BOMBARDIER

edited August 2014 in Off-Topic
http://quotes.morningstar.com/stock/s?t=bdrbf

I've tracked this one for years. Down quite a bit from its high. Profitability is rated "A." I dunno the last time I've seen THAT at M*. Any opinions about this stock? Thanks.

Comments

• edited August 2014
    It feels like Boeing/Airbus (air) and GE/Trinity/etc (rail) have taken their thunder. The stock has basically wandered/done not much of anything for a decade or more.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited August 2014
    One note: the reason for the OTC listing is because it's a foreign company - the primary listing is on the Canadian market. Since it is Canadian, you'd get hit with foreign withholding on any dividends (that's the nice thing about Singapore, you don't get hit with foreign withholding, but that's for another thread...)

Maurice provided a good overview. I'm not seeing much reason to invest unless you believe the company can manage a turnaround for a particular reason and I've stopped trying to play that kind of thing. I'd rather just own solid, consistent companies with a dividend history rather than anything too speculative.
  • I'm really glad for the input. You've done some real solid homework for me. By "tracking" it, I must assert up front that I'm a rank amateur. Having spent time in Canada, this stock attracted my attention many years ago. (1980s.) So, it's been around, through thick and thicker. And I look to see what's green and what's red on the M* page. ...And I'm not keen about foreign withholding, either. ...M* is often behind the curve re: what they've got posted about stocks and funds. Outdated, stale, info, etc........ It grabbed my attention to see "profitability" rated as an "A." Most or all of the FUND MANAGERS, who are professionals--- who buy stocks for the funds that I own, buy stocks with a "profit" grade of C or worse. I suppose I'll leave this one alone. Thanks, again.
  • edited August 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited August 2014
    Maurice said:

There are several ways to buy and sell stocks. I will mention three.

There is the method that scott discusses which is to buy solid companies that have a history of distributing increasing dividend payouts. Many people hold on to these stocks for years, unless something significant hits the news (e.g. bad earnings prospects). Not speaking for scott here, as he often says he sells, because something bter comes around.

Less and less though. I've really gotten to the point where the sell happens only if there is a real fundamental change for the negative in the company or concerns about the industry. I've traded in and out of a couple of names multiple times over the last year - I know one example stands out in particular - I kept thinking that it was appropriate to sell, but nothing had fundamentally changed about the business and after a few round-trips I just said forget it and decided to own it instead of trying to time the market. Love the business, originally intended it as a long-term holding and would have done a bit better had I just owned it and not tried to be overthink things.

-------------------------
    ". When those miss, even by pennies, the security can go into a nose dive. I think most people and industry people follow this method."

Escalator up, elevator down. I don't want to be in any momentum names.
  • Crash said:

...And I'm not keen about foreign withholding, either. ....

You can work it out on your taxes at year end, but I think the only issue is that that is not money that is being reinvested. If you get $X dividend, take away 20% of that and the rest can then be reinvested.
  • I am guessing that Embraer has impacted this company due to lower labor costs. Company is in Brazil.
  • Yes, John, I was thinking the same thing. Embraer also manufactures aircraft which are more-or-less type-competitive with Bombardier. With respect to Bombardier's surface transit side, plenty of world-wide competition there also. Bombardier is famous for rugged bush-pilot type small aircraft, but that's a pretty limited field.
  • I'm glad I brought it up. I'm getting an education.
  • If one googles or bings Embraer versus Bombardier they will get a plethora of information. These aircraft fit a niche in between the 737/320 and the turboprops. Airlines are starting to use more of these on longer routes much to the dismay of passengers.

• edited August 2014
    You'd have an aircraft manufacturer with "BOMB" in the name owned by a fellow named "CRASH". Sounds like a "lose lose" proposition.

*Edited to correct spelling error in original. (Damned spell checkers can only do so much.:)
  • hank said:

You'd have an aircraft manufacturer with "BOMB" in the name owned by a fellow named "CRASH". Sounds like a loose loose proposition.

Hee hee hee hee hee hee.:)

(I stole it from Crash Davis.)

"He's pitching a 2-hit shut-out, and he's shaking me off. You believe that shit, man?