Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Agreement reached for ceasefire between Ukraine and Russia.

This is just crossing the wires. We shall see if it holds.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101964553

Comments

• edited September 2014
    Seems as if something about a "ceasefire" got out, markets ramped higher. However, the reality of what has actually been agreed upon seems unclear.

"The office of Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko says that he and Russian President Vladimir Putin are in agreement on a cease-fire in eastern Ukraine, but the statement was ambiguous and there was no immediate indication that the fighting would stop.

The brief statement Wednesday said "mutual understanding was reached regarding the steps that will contribute to the establishment of peace" but gave no details."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/03/russia-ukraine_n_5757090.html
  • edited September 2014
    Probably belongs in the "Wanta buy a bridge?" category. (Russia denies any involvement in Eastern Ukraine and army's generally don't pay attention to leaders from another country giving them directives.)

Sam Zell was on cnbc today. Only caught first couple minutes. He's not too hot on stocks, but don't know if he has much of a track record calling markets - although successful in his own right.
  • John Chisum: Not so fast! Russia agreed on peace process, not cease-fire: Kremlin.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Yep, as mentioned by the others, the story is in flux.

I'll believe it when I see it. Putin doesn't seem like a trusting person.
  • Putin doesn't seem like a trusting person

Ya Think??? He's a scary, expansionist lunatic in the spirit of the shoe banging Nikita Khrushchev. His goal is to form another soviet union, I believe.

• @MikeM, funny but I also thought of Krushchev. Your right.
  • edited September 2014
    Put me down with you guys. I wouldn't trust that guy even in my sight.
  • Uncle Vladimir the Goat-snudger.
  • Putin has been playing the passive aggressive for months and I'd find it surprising if this time is any different. He sent his military into Ukraine and got the Europeans' and US' undies in a twist, and now he's playing the peace-maker card again. Rinse, wash, repeat. Everything he's said has been a lie and every appearance that he's being reasonable has been followed by a bigger unacceptable step.
  • edited September 2014
    removed
  • Talk is cheap. Will see how the country is divided afterward...