Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

CNBC Viewership Drops to 21 YR Lows

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-09-05/cnbc-viewership-plunges-21-year-lows

At what point does "Merger Monday" offer up CNBC being forced to merge with Bloomberg?

Comments

• If you are into sentiment indicators, I would say this bodes well for the stock market bulls.
  • Yes and no - the same charts could be presented for newspapers, other cable news and even cable TV viewership in general.
    People get their news and entertainment from other sources.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2014
    Maurice! I thought that you were in your new kindlier/gentler mode. Wait a minute... no... that was Ted. Sorry for the confusion.:-)
  • I'd guess they miss Maria. CNBC has been on shaky ground for quite some time. As cable networks lose customers so goes CNBC.
  • I'd guess they miss Maria. CNBC has been on shaky ground for quite some time. As cable networks lose customers so goes CNBC.

I miss seeing Maria B. on there. I don't receive the new station Maria moved to, which is Fox Business.
  • As channels become less desirable, cable outlets start dropping them for other networks. I wonder if any of that is happening?

The only financial channel on my local cable is Bloomberg which is a bit better than CNBC as far as reporting but they can get circus- like too, especially the US based team. They are too caffeinated and loud for my taste with their rah-rah cheering of the bull market.

I do miss the good shows of the past. Louis Rukheyser was one.

• As channels become less desirable, cable outlets start dropping them for other networks. I wonder if any of that is happening?

That's my curiosity - is there a point where CNBC viewership goes low enough to the point where it's no longer sustainable?
  • edited September 2014
    Be careful what you wish for. As more leave they'll follow CNN's lead with increasing diet of dead celebrities, car chases and child murders. As ratings slide, look for a move to OJ re-runs (the other one), Michael Jackson stories and old aviation disasters. From the old fishing cliche: A bad day watching markets is better than a good day viewing decades old sensationalized pieces.

Agree with John and some others. The class acts are rare. Mark Haines was pretty level headed and objective. Rukeyser and crew were A+. Maria was OK. You can still catch her on Fox Business afternoons. Another good one is Howard Kurtz who left the sinking ship that is CNN. Still watch him on Fox Sundays.

• I do miss the good shows of the past. Louis Rukheyser was one.

Louis Rukeyser's show was the very best.
    You could always count on him to have some of the very best guests each year, such as John Templeton's annual appearances.

One show he had both John Templeton and Peter Lynch on together. They both guests recommended Johnson & Johnson, JNJ.

Many of Lou's guests had specific, actionable advice.
    I bought some mutual funds on their advice, and still hold some.
  • @Junkster.
    If you are into sentiment indicators, I would say this bodes well for the stock market bulls.
    I agree.
  • Yes, I do remember Lou and his shows are entertaining. There were many excellent guests (as discussed above) and some "not so great" such as Jeffrey Vinik who exercised the old trick of pump-and-dump on stock recommendation.

Haven't watch CNBC for years. Even Bloomberg news is declining...
  • It is interesting to watch all the news channels and those that call themselves such to swirl around the whirlpool of the sewer drain. Their actions to try and increase viewership as mentioned by @hank in my opinion are the exact opposite if what they should do. They and their planners think we want glorified news and action stories but I believe that we are starving for a channel that provides the news and information in a non-biased and straightforward manner.

Am I really in the minority on this one? I don't think so.
  • JC, frankly "News Channel" has become an oxymoron. CNBC I'm not sure is a news channel in the real or imaginary sense of the words. Then again, CNN is a bunch of Standup Comedians, and once in a while we actually find someone hilarious.

There was a time when I still switched to CNBC. Then when Donald Trump started showing up too many times, I just stopped. I don't even switch to CNBC by accident.

Towards the end of my affair with CNBC, I used to watch "American Greed". Then I realize I don't need to know about any more dysfunctional people.

I get my news on TV from Jon Stewart, John Oliver and Bill Maher.
  • edited September 2014
    CNBC's reality shows - "The Profit" and "Restaurant Startup" have actually been quite enjoyable. Maybe at some point down the road CNBC will be like MTV where there isn't actually any music anymore (MTV is barely anything anymore, as is - weekdays seem to be heavily bad re-runs of various 90's shows during a good portion of the day, or increasingly cheap to produce reality shows that barely seem to qualify as a show). It will just be business reality shows with a ticker running at the bottom. If you watch CNBC HD, a portion of the side of the screen is various news items. You could have that and a scrolling ticker at the bottom.

Or networks will just start taking cheap shows from the internet. "Epic Meal Time" went from Youtube to their own cable show this Summer.

• edited September 2014
    Mmm. Went OTA only 3 months ago. Barely miss it.

Likely a major productivity boost.

Maybe it's a trend.