Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

New York Times: Bill Gross Leaves Pimco, "Reportedly Under Pressure"

edited September 2014 in Fund Discussions
"William H. Gross appears to have jumped before he could be pushed out at Pimco, the big money management firm he helped build from scratch... comes after weeks of behind-the-scenes discussions to replace him."

Image credit: New York Times: Jim Young/Reuters

Link to NY Times Article

Comments

• Cool shades. Look about $999 more expensive than ones I wear.:)
  • edited September 2014
    Yeah... as I recall David was really impressed by them also. (I posted the pic pretty much for him.) :-)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Two stocks I own
    BLK +4.2%
    OAK +3.2%
  • Another story about Gross' departure hits the NY Times. This one with a brief quote from our own esteemed leader.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/09/26/the-long-and-colorful-reign-of-the-bond-king/
  • The last word.
  • He managed how many billions of dollars, and he ran around with "no sense of appropriateness." Yikes.
  • edited September 2014
    Crash said:

He managed how many billions of dollars, and he ran around with "no sense of appropriateness." Yikes.

Warren Buffett: "It's only when the tide goes out that you learn who's been swimming naked."
  • I'm on the side of Bill Gross. We are not talking of bull market manager here. You do something 30+ years consistently, pride and self respect can start getting confused with ego.

I wish him all the best, but he should have started Gross Total Return. On that note, he is 70 and worth $2B. Why not retire and put idiots coming on CNBC out of business? Not sure why we wants to work for someone else.
  • Hi V/F …

I think he wants to show that the “old” B/G still has the gusto when it comes to running a mutual fund … I wish him well even though I have not had much money invested with him and/or at Pimco. Currently, I have a little better than three percent of my money with Pimco and that is in PASAX who is run by Rob Arnott and is a fund of funds. I going to watch it closely and have placed it under review. That is the second time it has been under review in the past two years.

I don’t think I’ll be following B/G with any money into his fund at Janus. I recently moved some money into Kathleen Gaffney’s fund at Eaton Vance. So far, I like how she has positioned this fund and its results so far.

With Mr. Gross being around seventy years in age … Well, just how much longer can he skipper a fund?

Old_Skeet
  • edited September 2014
    Agree with VF & Skeet.

I posted a link recently that lists BIll Gross as one of the top 10 money managers of all time. It met with decidedly unenthusiastic response - for understandable reasons.

Making money over time in bonds must be incredibly difficult. Unlike equities, which inevitably rise over very long periods, bonds don't inevitably go up. (Interest rates fluctuate in both directions over longer periods). Yes, they'll yield the "coupon" to maturity - but not the type of positive returns Gross has generated.

So, we need to separate Gross's investment savvy (of which he has plenty) from the personal issues which have contributed to his current situation. And, I think folks here have done a good job separating the two. But, we're human. Guess there's something entertaining about seeing the King handed his head on a platter.
    :)