Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Mike Nichols, Award-Winning Director, Dead at 83

edited November 2014 in Off-Topic
Story from CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/20/showbiz/obit-mike-nichols/index.html

Don''t know any other film that so captured the essence of what like it was like to be young and alive during the 60's better than Nichols' "The Graduate." (Umm ... maybe "Hair"). Belongs right up there among the "100 greatest" of all time, along-side the likes of "Gone With the Wind", "Casablanca" and "Singing in the Rain."

"Plastics"

Comments

• Mike and Elaine May- pure genius.
  • edited November 2014
    Shameless name dropping.... His even more famous wife grew up in my neighborhood and was a year older than me. I remember when she was the local TV weather girl. My how times have changed.

Edit: In a bit of a twist, the small town she was born in before moving to the big city where I lived is the small town I now reside in. Best place I have ever lived and I have lived in *lots* of places.
  • :) Frankly, Benjamin, this whole idea sounds rather half-baked. ....Oh, no, dad. It's completely baked.
  • Cut their teeth in Chicago at Second City
    Regatrds,
    Ted
  • edited November 2014
    Hi Max - great clip.

Am still trying to figure out the enduring appeal of "The Graduate" and what it had to say about life during that period. As your clip shows, a sharp "schism" exists between generations and is evident in many ways. It drives much of the convoluted plot.

The film largely overlooks the elephant in the room during the period which was the Vietnam War and divisiveness over the war. However, the war was sometimes painted by its younger critics as the manifestation of the older generation's flawed thinking and values. So, in a curious sense, it's always there.

Enough said ... Let's get back to making money.:)
  • :) And William Daniels is just great. I played the same stage character once, that he did, from Edward Albee's 2-man play, "The Zoo Story." The ordinary, comfortable, middle class fellow, just reading on a park bench. Until.....
  • I've been in plastics ever since…
  • TedTed
    edited November 2014
    @MFO Members: Best Mike Nichols movies to own.
    Regards,
    Ted
    1. ‘The Graduate’ (1967)
    2. ‘Who’s Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?’ (1966)
    3. ‘Carnal Knowledge’ (1971)
    4. ‘Catch-22’ (1970)
    5. ‘Postcards from The Edge’ (1990)

Source: MarketWatch.Com
  • All of those were fabulous. Great minds think alike, eh?