Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The ECB and QE, per Dr. Hussman's view

edited January 2015 in Off-Topic
This is a long write, with the ECB/QE being first in place.

'Course, you are the judge with this, eh?

Disclaimer: we do not and have not had investments in his funds.

Article link, dated Jan. 19, 2015

Regards,
Catch

Comments

• edited January 2015
    Delete!
  • edited January 2015
    @Junkster
    Won't disagree and tis the first link I've given regarding the doctor.
    But, I will still speed read these type of writes for trinkets of thought.
    I will not keep my mind closed to other's thinking.
    Enjoy your free time to recharge the brain cells.
    Take care,
    Catch
  • Catch, I am going to delete my above post. I want to have an enjoyable hike and not come back to....
  • If the good doctor could ever learn how to coordinate his book smarts with street smarts he might become dangerous. He talks the talk but stumbles badly on the walking part.
  • I don't understand why anyone would value his opinions. He's missed the greatest bull run of our lifetime.
  • edited January 2015
    Catch - I've linked JH before and don't mind your linking him. The Linkster and many others have also linked him in the past. I still like to glance at his page to see what's going on in that bizarre corner of the universe ... but no longer waste time reading the entire commentary.

Re Hussman's semi-coherent ramblings: The amount of verbage contained does not appear commensurate with the amount of thought conveyed.

• Excerpt: "...When you rise to the level of love, of its great beauty and power, you seek only to defeat evil systems. Individuals who happen to be caught up in that system, you love, but you seek to defeat the system."

Rather a surprise to read such a thing from such a source, but I cannot disagree. In fact, that spot is where I stopped reading. The item is becoming too long, and I just felt like moving on.
  • edited January 2015
  • @MFO Members: Dr. John Hussman's investing record speakes for itself.
    Regards,
    Ted
    HSGFX:
    1 Year -8.50%
    3 Year -9.28%
    5 Year -6.06%
    10 Year -2.28%
    Since
    Inception
    (07/24/00)
    3.03%
    HSTRX:
    1 Year 3.78%
    3 Year -1.29%
    5 Year 1.37%
    10 Year 4.27%
    Since
    Inception
    (09/12/02)
    4.98%
    HSIEX:
    1Year -6.99%
    3 Year -2.16%
    5 Year -1.19%
    Since
    Inception
    (12/31/09)
    -1.19%

• Ted: Thanks for those numbers. Unbelievable.
  • Crash, you were aware he was reprinting an early King sermon, right? In honor. That's all.
  • @davidmoran: No, sir, I did not. I just learned something. Knowing that puts a different frame around it, there. Thanks.
  • edited January 2015
    Mark said:

If the good doctor could ever learn how to coordinate his book smarts with street smarts he might become dangerous. He talks the talk but stumbles badly on the walking part.

This. It's a great example of someone who's intelligent, whose writings are well-researched, but one view/one element of his thinking renders the whole thing false in practice.

I think what tells me a lot about Hussman is that he never blinked, which is astonishing. Never tweaked things after a year, two, three? It would have been so easy with his view to go heavily to cash and own a few consumer staples and that'd be it. The whole options hedging strategy is unnecessarily complex and probably costly. He could still express his bearish view in a way that I think would have worked better.

It's a weird thing. You can have someone who is very bearish and yet, owns a ton of stocks and has that portfolio entirely hedged. If you're bearish, why make things so complicated when cash and a few odds/ends staples would better fit your vision and would be a far less expensive strategy.

I've tried to write him, not to bash him or something, but to try to get a sense of why he's taken the approach he's taken. No success.

• It is interesting that we are talking about Hussman with a long history of losses and yet people invest with him. In another thread the topic is FAIRX. Berkowitz may not have the history but the similarity of both situations is present. When does one realize that the investment is not going to pan out as they thought.

There are many funds out there that are making money at present. Why torment yourself?