Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Interesting movement on ACDJX.

I got the annual report in the mail yesterday and since this is one of my core holdings, I checked out their stock movements. They are reducing their healthcare exposure. Not a lot, but it is there. Also they are shorting select healthcare stocks. This is a 130/30 fund.

I remember some here had mentioned if healthcare was due for a pullback after such a long run. By saying healthcare I also include biotech, pharma and equipment etc. Prior to this there was no evidence of any paring of healthcare. Kind of like the idea that all ships rise with the tide, it seems that selected companies are being sold or shorted. There are plenty of good companies still so this is minor and just a single fund's effect.

It does seem though that this might be the beginning of a small change in the bullishness of healthcare. Not that I would sell though, but it could be worth watching to see how it plays out.

Comments

• Knew nada about this fund. Interesting to read the list of shorts. Do you get anything more than a one-page summary of market activity from the president of American Century, i.e. the skinny from the managers on what they did with your nickel?
  • I notice 96% turnover, John. Do you have this in a tax-sheltered account?
  • edited April 2015
    As of the 2014 close, M* shows this fund as top-heavy in LCG, yet it has 15% in microcap as well. It was circa 30% short, and (leveraged) 125% long, with a very high e.r.=1.48%. And this is one of your "core holdings"? Is that what you meant to say?
  • edited April 2015
    As I've said, I don't think some of the large cap biotech is expensive and Gilead, at under 10x forward p/e, is a value.

I do think though that some of the small names that maybe do not have a drug but have a really promising pipeline have run up too much. Bluebird Bio, which this fund is shorting, is a good example. +337% last year w/no earnings. That said, I think what concerns me in terms of shorting is that there's no guarantee that these names can't run further or much further or if they are successful with a treatment that's game changing. Trying to make valuation calls in this market over the last few years has often proved to be a mistake.

130/30 is an alternative strategy that's never really appealed to me (no particular reason), but this fund has done reasonably well.

Given the nature of the fund, I wouldn't be surprised if the E.R. was higher than it is.
  • @scott oh, stop with the maybe-baby "forward p/e" crap. You know it is predictive of nothing; you're just pumpin' your book, aren't you?:)
  • edited April 2015
    heezsafe said:

@scott oh, stop with the maybe-baby "forward p/e" crap. You know it is predictive of nothing; you're just pumpin' your book, aren't you?:)

Personally, I share a lot of what I do on this board and when I do, I give reasoning. I do own GILD and other healthcare stocks and a few differerent funds. As for GILD in particular, you have a company that had $24.9B in revenue in 2014, a 127% increase over 2013. Starts a dividend soon, $15B buyback, has a significant pipeline and yet, is trading at a 13 p/e. I think the current valuation is cheap and discounts a lot of the pipeline. It is likely in part to the idea of competition and pricing for their HEP-C treatments coming down, but Abbvie's competing Viekira Pak has been disappointing in terms of numbers and in terms of pricing coming down (also partly due to controversy over prices, although the question becomes how much would a liver transplant be), I think that's largely been discounted already.

I don't think there is that much genuine value in the market, but that's an example of something that I personally see as a pretty terrific value. Plus, the CEO won M*'s CEO of the year last year, although I'm still not sure whether or not to see that as a good or bad thing. I was impressed with how Gilead handled the Express Scripts move to the cheaper Abbvie product, and added on that downturn and have continued to add.

I actually think the large cap biotechs are still a good choice for those who can tolerate day-to-day volatility. They held up nicely in 2008, as well. As I've said, I do think a lot of the smaller biotechs have rallied on the promise of their pipeline and that's why when dealing with this sector, I'd rather either pick specific stocks or have actively managed funds or both instead of an index.

Lastly, I continue to like health care from the standpoint of I tend to focus investments on needs instead of wants. I sleep better at night with investments that at least heavily lean towards things people need versus things where I have to worry about what may be "the next big thing".

As for the E.R. of this fund, given the shorting and leverage, coming from another company this kind of fund could easily have an E.R closer to 1.75-2. I'm not saying that it's not inexpensive in a general sense, I'm saying that it could easily be more expensive, given what it is.
  • According to the latest prospectus, ACDJX has an actual, what-the-investor-actually- pays ER of 1.81%. Always look at the prospectus or call the fund as I have found that M* excludes various expenses, typically associated with L/S funds, in arriving at their fictitious front page ER.

Kevin
  • @@kevindow: Anyone paying 1.81% ER for a LCG should be taken to the woodshed and banned from investing. "you're just pumpin' your book, aren't you?:)" Scott is an author, title please ?
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited April 2015
    scott said:

As for the E.R. of this fund, given the shorting and leverage, coming from another company this kind of fund could easily have an E.R closer to 1.75-2.

kevindow said:

According to the latest prospectus, ACDJX has an actual, what-the-investor-actually- pays ER of 1.81%.

Kevin

Well, there ya go lol. Thanks to kevin for the research.
  • The ER on this fund varies a bit. Last year I paid 1.62 if I recall correctly. This year 1.81 is correct. It is higher than normal for what I pay but with my last M* X-ray, my expense average was below average or very good so it's all relative. Yes, this is one of my core holdings. I like this fund due to its investing in what I call "future stocks" or tomorrow stocks. Apple, Google etc, plus biotech and other tech companies. If the markets go south I would expect this fund to get whacked but I will be interested in the recovery period length as so far it has bounced back quickly in the mild downturns of late.

Not all of us invest solely in low cost index funds. I like some variety.
  • edited April 2015
    >>>Personally, I share a lot of what I do on this board and when I do, I give reasoning. I do own GILD and other healthcare stocks and a few differerent funds. As for GILD in particular, you have a company that had $24.9B in revenue in 2014, a 127% increase over 2013. Starts a dividend soon, $15B buyback, has a significant pipeline and yet, is trading at a 13 p/e. I think the current valuation is cheap and discounts a lot of the pipeline. It is likely in part to the idea of competition and pricing for their HEP-C treatments coming down, but Abbvie's competing Viekira Pak has been disappointing in terms of numbers and in terms of pricing coming down (also partly due to controversy over prices, although the question becomes how much would a liver transplant be), I think that's largely been discounted already. <<<<

Well, I don't see it but then large cap stocks aren't my thing. I see analysts predicting revenues slowing to 13.10% in 2015 and then 3.80% in 2016. Hopefully my hesitation will act as contrary indicator and propel GILD out of its funk since last summer.

Edit: I assume these large cap biotechs with projected slowdowns in their revenue growth can make strategic acquisitions to remedy that?
  • @JohnChisum: you might be interested in the discussion about the new Exponential Technologies ETF that just started trading under the symbol XT. The ER is .47% and assets went from nil to 600 million just last week. Rick Edelman put 560m of his clients assets in and I put in the other 40m. (A little late for April Fools.) The spread on XT has been only a penny or two, very low for a new fund. This fund is in no way comparable to your 130/30 fund, but it does hit "future stocks."
  • @BenWP, Thanks for that tip. That is a interesting ETF and a new one at that. Can I imagine I am 25 years old again and buy that for the long haul?

@Junkster, Comparative pricing has been a thorn in patients sides. Selling a medication that costs relatively little to make at a high profit because it can save you the costs of surgery is kinda in the trickery dept. I do not bemoan the profits of any company but sometimes the reasons for the high prices are head scratching.