Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Trip Observations

2»

Comments

• Getting closer, 40 words...I don't want to audit
  • BenWP You bring up a good point. How about holding it up to your ear for minutes on end instead of using speakerphone ?
    Derf
  • A wife worried about your Jewels and not hers.....how refreshing...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited April 2015
    Maurice said:

I think many women carry their phone in a purse. So the back pocket, front pocket thing is not as much of an issue or her. For disclosure, I carry my phone [and wallet] in my front pocket.

A question for people who have owned both a Samsung [Android] and an Apple phone. Do you find one to have better reception on phone calls over the other?

I have had the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 in recent years, which are Google-branded LG phones. I heard people fine. I just got the Samsung Galaxy S5 and the level of clarity is night-and-day, to the point where I heard background sounds (birds chirping, etc) that i'd never heard before while talking to people. Haven't tried an iPhone, but the difference between clarity on the Nexus 5 and Galaxy 5 was surprising.

I really did like the Nexus line for their affordability (tmobile is selling refurb 4's for around $169, which is a terrific option for those who are just looking for a cheap phone and aren't heavy users), but I got a little tired of the battery life on the 5 and the 6 was a huge/expensive phone after the line had always been about giving a lot of value for the money.

Wifi calling (which I believe is primarily a t-mobile thing) when I've used it is blah, but I rarely have a situation ever where I've needed to use it.

I carry my phone in my back pocket, or if I'm sitting (in a car, etc) it's in my shirt pocket or front pocket. Ballistic case at all times.
  • edited April 2015
    Maurice said:

I have a Samsung Galaxy 3. Calls are clear when I get a signal. It's just that I often don't. Not sure if it is a phone issue or the carrier (Verizon).

Weird. I think that's an issue that you should take up with your carrier. I have family with Galaxy 3's on AT T and they've never had an issue.

Had a delightful period last Summer where Tmobile had a problem with a nearby tower and had no mobile service for about a week locally. Thankfully when they fixed it they seemed to have upgraded it too. But yeah, I've never had a signal issue with Tmo unless I'm in the absolute middle of nowhere (driving through farmland in Iowa).

I'm not one way or the other on operating systems - if someone likes Apple, great, if someone likes Android, great. My own personal issue is that I don't like carrying about electronics that cost above a certain price (and feel the same way when I have cameras out and about doing photography.) I happened to get a great deal on the Galaxy S5.
  • @BenWP- if one day you look down and see a little screen like on an iwatch when you pee, you'll know that your wife is right, for sure.
  • Yeah, that's quite a mental pic, isn't it? :)
  • Getting towards the end of our time here stateside. On the subject of price increases, we paid over $7 for a small jar of Vicks Vapo-Rub. Criminy.

We fly out in the late morning tomorrow. I'll be offline for a while.

Next stop, back to Tokyo.