Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Final Observations from our Trip.

I've been back home for a couple of days and resting from the transit. A few things really popped out during my time in the US. First was the prices. They have been going up each year since we have been doing this but those were small and limited. This year everything was up and sharply so. It was the number one topic at our get togethers with family and friends. Second, at every get together, the subject of refinancing into shorter mortgages came up. A lot of homeowners seem to be going to 15 or 20 year loans if they can. The rates are low at the moment. I heard of 3.375% loans at one party. It was common to have someone pop out a iPad and use a bank calculator online to come up with a possible payment. Now, these are middle aged friends. A secondary motive was to have the house paid off at retirement. Some of these friends have steady jobs, some with newer jobs and higher pay. I found it very interesting that this subject kept coming up. Last year there was no mention of any of this.

I'm not sure if this applies elsewhere but municipal fees were up sharply as well. In the city of Tacoma, water is very expensive. This is a city with huge watersheds and plenty of water supply. I was scratching my head on this. Brown lawns are the norm as people try to save money. One should understand too that the old model of a water meter up front is not the story of today. In Tacoma, and I suspect most other places, you pay for the water several times. Once coming in, once on the way out, and for any water that falls on your property. This rates are all figured by computer. As more city water is used, your sewer fee also goes up. Tampabay will have to be careful here. He could pay for that Bud Light twice too.

Gasoline prices were low thanks to low oil prices. I paid $2.53 a gallon for the two times I had to put gas into the new Altima we drove. Nice car by the way. Limited rear view for me. I would get the camera and warning system for the rear.

That's all for this year. Sorry for the long post.

Comments

• As for price increases, was at Target yesterday - Target used to have generic Claritin for $4.49 for 30 (great deal, btw). Now they introduced a 10 pack for $4.99 and the 30 pack is now $8.99. People say there's no inflation - there is and a fair amount of it is this sort of thing.

Hope you had a good trip, thanks for the post.
  • edited April 2015
    Scott - On the other hand, at least one local pharmacy is giving away certain generics for free.
    (News blurb) "The acquisition cost of generics has become so low that pharmacies can essentially afford to give them away, and the Wegmans supermarket pharmacy is doing that,” says Adam J. Fein, PhD, head of Pembroke Consulting and of the pharma blog Drug Channels.": http://www.healthnewsreview.org/2013/04/drug-store-gives-out-free-statins/

Here's a link to the Meyers Store chain in Michigan. I can testify from experience that they really do give away free Atorvastatin (generic Lipitor) in the prescribed dose and require you to buy nothing else. Even refill it automatically and call you when it's ready. http://www.meijer.com/content/content.jsp?pageName=free-prescriptions-at-meijer

Also check-out the "Good RX" site on the Internet. We needed one from Walgreens sooner than our "cheepo" insurance would allow. The $120 medication at Walgreens was only $27 there with the Good RX coupon.
    -
    JohnC - Good eye on prices. Agree that most consumer products are rising faster than the official inflation rate. Retailers for years blamed that on the increasing shipping costs due to high fuel prices. But, I haven't noticed the reverse effect now that fuel prices have fallen.
  • John's comments prompt a couple of observations: for several years pundits have been predicting the rising cost of water as an investment theme to exploit. The word is not out: the performance of the ETF PHO has been feeble. Retail prices are going up, but seem not to be reflected in the consumer price indices published in the press. Currently re-financing to a 15-year note at 3%.
  • I had a shock just before I left. My doctor gives me a prescription each year. Last year it was $68. This year $109. I'm sure the cost for the pharmacy didn't go up that much. In another episode I didn't mention, the wife was coming down with sinus congestion so we pulled into a Wahlgreens. I purchased a small jar of Vicks Vapo Rub and a generic menthol nasal inhaler. $15.88 was the total at the register. Unbelievable. The Vapo Rub was over $7 The wife got better though.

It does pay to shop around if you have to pay for medicines.
  • JohnChisum: A question on your prescription cost. Was your deductible due? This missed fact usually catches me at the beginning of year. As for the water rates, sewage, & lawn water rates all being connected, that's been in effect in WI. for a number of years.
    Glad you had a nice trip & arrived home safely.
    Derf
  • Hi JohnC,

Thanks for telling us your observations of your recent trip.

In Charlotte, NC where my principal residence is located we pay fees on water we take from the municipal water system, then again for use of the sewer system and then for rain fall through storm water runoff management fees.

I have several water storage tanks (rain barrels) that are fed from rainfall from the roof of my home and another building which I use to water plants, my garden and at times a small grass area; but not the whole yard. In addition, the air conditioning water condensation is directed to a barrel. All the barrels are connected through plumbing to a pump so the water can be delivered under pressure through a garden hose to a nozzle or sprinkler head.

This simple little system has cut my municipal water consumption to where they have now replaced my water meter twice during the past year, or so, due to my lower than normal water consumption. Also, I can water during times of water restrictions as I am not pulling from the municipal water source as long as I have water in the barrels. The home air conditioning system, at times, generates about twenty five gallons of water a day.

In addition, and this is real nice, I have another pump with bladder tank that is plumbed to where it raises the water pressure within my home when necessary. So during times of low water pressure, through high demand, in the municipal system I have good water pressure within my home.

It is for sure water consumption and its management is a coming thing.

Old_Skeet
  • "This year everything was up and sharply so"

Hi John, and glad that you had a safe trip. Yes, every single thing that you've noted with respect to prices is a source of constant concern here also. We have the same multiple charges for water. Prescription costs are horrendous, even with some help from our health plan.
  • edited April 2015

I had a shock just before I left. My doctor gives me a prescription each year. Last year it was $68. This year $109. I'm sure the cost for the pharmacy didn't go up that much. In another episode I didn't mention, the wife was coming down with sinus congestion so we pulled into a Wahlgreens. I purchased a small jar of Vicks Vapo Rub and a generic menthol nasal inhaler. $15.88 was the total at the register. Unbelievable. The Vapo Rub was over $7 The wife got better though.

It does pay to shop around if you have to pay for medicines.

Hi John,

Welcome home!

88% lean (12% fat) ground beef at Costco was $3.11 per pound in July 2014. Today it is $3.69 per pound. What is that an 18.6% increase in less than 1 year. And there is no inflation?!?!

Talking about Costco, next time you are in the states, price them out for your prescriptions. I have found there prices to be the lowest by far and if you do not have Rx insurance, you will get a discount on their already low prices.

Mona

• @Mona, I might do that next time back. I did see a price for ground beef similar to your description for $5.29 a pound at one store. I would hate to price ground round. Pork roast on the other hand is cheaper than hamburger

@derf, My insurance is my wallet in the back pocket.

@Old_Skeet, Yep same as Tacoma. I don't know if Tacoma is unique but the sewer fee is based on the water usage. There is some formula involved. Electricity is pretty cheap for now and upon discussion I heard one person mention that he pays $60 a month for electricity and $75 a month for water. I mentioned rain harvesting to him and he has been contemplating a large barrel system.

• edited April 2015
    Particular prescriptions are costing a criminal amount of money, yes. In those months when I don't need to renew the worst of my own drugs, my cost goes from over $100/month to just over $22/month. Criminal. Yes. THAT'S the word. Surely, it's all about patents. And Big Pharma even finds ways to argue that the expiring patents they own should not be permitted to expire. Can you say, "Pfizer?" Six letters, but functions as a four-letter-word.
  • In the "Should Mutual Funds be Illegal" discussion I questioned "Why would any mutual fund customer have any reason to believe that "their" mutual fund management would necessarily reflect the desires or beliefs of the mutual fund customers? For that matter why would the desires of the mutual fund customers themselves be consistent, uniform, or even in agreement?"

That perspective was challenged, which I didn't think worth any more time as it is self-evident, as in this perfect example: If a mutual fund management were to challenge the management of Pfizer, should it be to attempt to convince Pfizer to reduce their prices for the benefit of sick and needy consumers, or to increase their profits at the expense of those same consumers? At least some of those consumers may very well also be customers of the mutual fund company.

My position is that mutual fund companies obviously cannot attempt to represent consumer's or investor's best personal interests, and so should just mind their own mutual fund business.

• Old_skeet's water system should be on HGTV. I'm pretty impressed.