Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

VWINX: The one-fund lazy retirement income portfolio

2»

Comments

• beebee
    edited May 2015
    Junkster said:

bee, I *rarely* buy anything recommended by another as I like to do my own research/monitoring. But I must admit, much of the reason I had a good 2012 (better than the stock indexes and junk bonds) was entirely your doing. You were a vocal proponent of PONDX back then and I jumped aboard as it met my all my trendiness criteria. It was one smooth ride. So a belated thanks!

I believe CathyG...wherever she may be... was the first mentioned PONDX here at MFO. Investments work until they don't. This one has had some legs. Thanks to good management at Pimco (Dan Ivascyn).
    Junkster said:

As to your question the research on various tight stops on non volatile trending markets, open end junk bond funds in particular, and then when to reenter was given to me by a fellow poster here. He and I have been e-mailing back and forth on junk bonds for many years now. So not to sound like a ..., but wouldn't feel right sharing the fruits of his labor without his permission. The basics is when a heretofore strongly trending non volatile market declines a certain percentage from any new highs, there is a greater percentage that decline will continue further. I recall that methodolgy got me out of PONDX in 2013 with most of the early 2013 gains intact and it eventually went on to much further declines before stabilizing and rising again, albeit never as high as my exit point..

I'm not looking to get my kneecap bust so I'll stop you right there...thanks.
  • beebee
    edited May 2015
    Mona said:

Hi bee,
    A nice lower Standard Deviation combination throwing off some nice income, is a combination of VWINX and PONDX

Since 2008 that combination would have improved a stand alone VWINX portfolio:
    (click on image to view more clearly)
  • junkster: might you ask for his permission?