Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Internet explorer or firefox

Good morning: Forgot password so went to work & came up with a new one. I used explorer & it's working there. Shouldn't it work at firefox also? I've tried a couple of times & it doesn't work. Any ideas ?
Derf

Comments

• Did you have Firefox set to remember your old password? You may have to go into the password manager and change it.

If that doesn't work I would try to clear your browser cache.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Derf- with Firefox here's the easiest way to clear your MFO browser cache:

1) Make sure that your browser is looking at the MFO site.
    2) Use " Command I " which will bring up the "page info" window for the MFO site.
    3) Select " Security " at the top of the info page.
    4) Select " View Cookies ", which will then show you a list of all of the stored MFO cookies
    5) Click on " Remove all Cookies "

Of course you will then have to go back to the MFO site and re-register so that a new set of cookies can be stored.

• edited July 2015
    Or download the free and easy CCleaner. It erases ALL browsing history stored in the cache with a single click. I use it. (Piriform is a "clean," trusted site.)
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

*Other tools included, too.
  • Thanks for the help. MFO is now available both, explore & fire fox.
    Derf
  • You should be cautioned against using Explorer however. Explorer is known for its security problems. I would use Firefox, Chrome, or in a pinch Opera. If you're truly paranoid (which I can be at times), you can use Chromodo or the TOR browser. Either way, as suggested by 'Crash' I would run CCleaner daily to keep everything running smoothly. You can use 'LastPass' to save your passwords.
  • Chrome and Safari are my choices. Anything except Explorer.
  • Second BobC. Explorer is the worst possible choice. As a longtime UNIX/Linux/etc user I have used Firefox for years without the kinds of problems that I hear of with Explorer. (And no desire to find out.)
  • Microsoft is changing the name of their browser with Windows 10. It is the same Explorer, just refreshed and updated.

I prefer Safari and Chrome.
  • Maybe if we're lucky they will now call Explorer 'Firefox'. Oh wait, maybe not. :-)
  • Actually it's called Edge.

Like a knife's edge. Or the edge of the abyss.
  • @JohnChisum Now that was funny.:-)
  • Nothing wrong with the more recent revs of IE, and it is now (finally) sleeker too. Seems to handle sketchy sites a bit more robustly and effectively than the other two, ditto some video media. But I use all three, IE the least, lamenting only when there are too many Chrome sessions going, as it is more of a memory pig (separate process per site).
  • Actually it's called Edge.

Like a knife's edge. Or the edge of the abyss.

Laugh!
  • All this edge talk just prompted my brain to remember this old soap opera. I think my mother watched it on occasion.

The Edge of Night.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Edge_of_Night
  • Wow, the memories. You are dating yourself, Sir.
  • Yeah, "Edge of Night". Went on for years... Just like the problems with IE.
  • Old_Joe said:

Yeah, "Edge of Night". Went on for years... Just like the problems with IE.

LOL. Isn't that the truth.
  • LAUGH! Yer killin' me. "Edge of Night." Ya, I'd walk into the house after school when I was a kid, and that one was always on, in the afternoon.
  • Windows 10 can be had for FREE as long as you're currently using a "legit" paid version of Windows. FREE download offer is valid only until 29th July, 2016...... I have my doubts about the upgrade. I hear awful things about Windows 8. Like, for example: OK, we're sorry for that glitch. Here's a tool you can use to fix that. That'll be $65.00, please. Screw THAT.... Not to mention that every time they come out with an "improvement," it takes more and more mouse clicks just to get to where you want to go. For those among us who know about this stuff, what do you think? I'm currently running Windows 7. And it refuses to update for me, with the same error code number coming up every time. Then I click on the link to find out more. And Windows tells me: "Sorry. We just don't know shit about that." AFTER 29th July, 2016, Windows 10 will SELL for over $100.00.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq?ocid=win10_auxapp_LearnMore_win10faq
  • @Crash

Didn't look through the FAQ page; but you noted you're trying to move to Windows 10 now.
    Windows 10 is not yet released, correct? Not until after or on July 29, 2015.
    Perhaps I don't understand what you are attempting to do with your pc.
  • @catch22 - You're right about the dates. But there is a Technical Preview edition available. (Read the warnings - not easy to back out of.)

What I've read says that Windows 10 is a good, major cleanup of everything Windows 8 did wrong. (Sort of like Windows 7 being a cleanup of Vista.) I've got a set top Windows 8 box (the antithesis of what Windows 8 was designed for - tablets), and am happy to put anything else on that box.

But for my Windows 7 machines, I'm skeptical whether an upgrade is worth it. Here's a column discussing that (Windows 10 vs Windows 7) that suggests it may be worthwhile for performance improvement and a smoother (but similar) UI.

I've read various theories on why this is called Windows 10, but I'm inclined to go with the marketing theory - Microsoft wanted to distance itself as far as it could from Windows 8.1, just as it distanced itself from Vista.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/this-is-what-happened-to-windows-9-2014-10
  • Hi @msf
    Thank you for this info. We will need to purchase another laptop soon for our daughter's use in school, as the current unit is suffering a problem with the ribbon cable connections to the display screen. A teardown fix exists, and I would be in the mood for such a repair 10 years ago, but not today.
    I have been scratching my head on this; as the laptop to be replaced is using Vista, which we won't miss, but my laptop still runs Windows 7 and I'm pleased with this and would prefer to purchase a new laptop with Win7 and not Win8.
    Still looking around, and have not placed much time into this search at this point.
    Lastly, a brother in law bought a replacement laptop a few years ago with Win8 and he was not very pleased with changes that had been made.
  • catch22, it is easy enough in 8.1 (as in 7) to implement an XP- or Vista-like opening UI, taking little effort and including Start button etc. And W10 is said to be easier yet,
  • I use both Chrome and Safari on my iMac. Definitely do not trust explorer as that browser has been widely exploited globally by the malware contributors.
  • @davidrmoran
    Thank you. Will check regarding the reversion method you noted for Windows.
    I'm just not so willing as in prior years to keep messing around with a system to learn more new tweaks.
    I'd much rather use the time for family and investing.

@Gandalf
    Chrome may likely become the browser to use here. An aside: Visited a few small car shows in Michigan recently (2 massive shows coming in August). Geez, I sure would like to take a late 60's machine down the on ramp at the nearby interstate and just slam through the gears with a close-ratio 4 speed to run fast for the next 4 or 5 miles.
  • catch22 said:

@Gandalf
    Geez, I sure would like to take a late 60's machine down the on ramp at the nearby interstate and just slam through the gears with a close-ratio 4 speed to run fast for the next 4 or 5 miles.

Me too, I will always miss those muscle car days from the 60s. If I wasn't such a poor retiree, with a downsized house and small garage, I'd probably buy a ZR-1 Camaro or Vette.
  • Hi, Catch22. Musta just read through my post further up too quickly. (?) Yes, Windows 10 = unavailable until late July, 2015. I have an icon in my screen-bottom tray now that decided to show itself, un-prompted by me. It will take you to a place where you can RESERVE Windows 10 and upgrade for free. If you wait until after late July, 2016, it must be PAID for. I don't like Microsoft. Buggy, virus and malware magnet. WordPerfect commands all disabled unless you pay extra. But the only OS on my laptop is Windows. So... The slimeballs just decided they were not going to "support" Windows XP, a while back. After Windows 10 comes out, how long will it be before M'soft says: you running Windows 7? Sorry, you're on your own. In other words, PAY us for Windows 10--- since you waited so long to decide to acquire it. .....So, the point is: the upgrade is free, and that FREE offer stands for exactly a year. Will the upgrade be WORTH it, though, given Microsoft's history? Thanks to msf for that reply, too. The response from msf seems to hint that it WILL be worth the upgrade...
  • Here's Microsoft's Windows Lifecycle (support) page:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Windows 7 "mainstream" support has already ended. "Extended support" runs to 1/14/2020. As near as I can figure, that means primarily security patches.

Microsoft's policy is to provide at least 5 years mainstream support and an additional 5 years extended support. The way the policy is worded, it sounds like Microsoft is guaranteeing at least seven years support after the next version is released. So even if you buy the current release a day before the next release comes out, you're guaranteed at least seven years of support.

Not that I'm a Microsoft lover, but that sounds like a reasonable amount of time. A company cannot dedicate resources forever to support a system that's three versions old. And machines are usually replaced in less time than that.
  • While I use Safari and Firefox at home on my Mac, I use Explorer at work as my least favorite browser for the lack of security reasons stated above.